[News] [SOT] Yahoo and Microsoft Assist Totalitarian Suppressive Regime

  • Subject: [News] [SOT] Yahoo and Microsoft Assist Totalitarian Suppressive Regime
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 14:07:25 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Yahoo in China human rights case

,----[ Quote ]
| A human rights group in the US is suing Yahoo for alleged complicity in
| rights abuses and acts of torture in China.
`----

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6966116.stm

Watch below. Microsoft and Yahoo walk hand in hand as usual.

While the Aussies try to censor political Web content (see recent news below),
the fileting system turns out to have been a waste of money.

Student cracks Government's $84m porn filter

,----[ Quote ]
| Tom Wood, 16, said it took him just over 30 minutes to bypass the
| Government's filter, released on Tuesday.
`----

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22304224-5005941,00.html

Days ago:

Howard row over Wikipedia edits

,----[ Quote ]
| Staff in the Australian prime minister's department have been accused of
| editing potentially damaging entries in online encyclopaedia Wikipedia.
`----

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6961575.stm

Chinese Internet dissident committed to mental hospital

,----[ Quote ]
| "It is not acceptable that Chinese authorities use such methods to silence
| citizens who have merely peacefully voiced their opinions", expressed the
| organisation in an announcement. Apparently authorities have not abandoned
| the practice of punishing those who have exposed the abuse of power and
| defied censorship by compulsorily committing them to mental institutions.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/94864/from/rss09

Yahoo!, Microsoft ink web pact with Chinese government

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft and Yahoo! have signed a pact with the Chinese government
| that "encourages" the big name web players to record the identities of
| bloggers and censor content. So says Reporters Without Borders, an
| organization that fights for journalistic rights across the globe.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/24/yahoo_and_microsoft_ink_chinese_blogging_pact/

Microsoft, Yahoo Tailor Ads To Users' Behavior

,----[ Quote ]
| Google will remain on the sidelines — at least for now. But its Web portal
| rivals are stepping up their efforts to use behavioral targeting to make
| display, or banner, ads more relevant to Web site visitors.
`----

http://investors.com/editorial/IBDArticles.asp?artsec=17&issue=20070823

Related:

Microsoft Hires Programmer to edit Wikipedia Entry For OOXML

Seeing Corporate Fingerprints in Wikipedia Edits

,----[ Quote ]
| The SCO Group, a software maker in Salt Lake City, made changes to product
| information in its own entry this year. The company has been involved in
| legal disputes over the rights to some open-source software.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/19/technology/19wikipedia.html?_r=3&hp=&oref=slogin&pagewanted=all&oref=slogin

Spanish TV Channels Vandalize Wikipedia

,----[ Quote ]
| The public station introduced falsehoods into the Wikipedia entry for John
| Lennon; the private one vandalized the Elvis Presley entry. Both stations
| said they were performing an "experiment" to check the reaction time of
| Wikipedia. Both articles were promptly corrected by other editors.
`----

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/18/2324217&from=rss

Microsoft Program Manager: Wikipedia is a Giant Joke

,----[ Quote ]
| I am especially amused by all the bits in red font since they are
| either borderline libel or just straight up hilarious.
`----

http://www.25hoursaday.com/weblog/PermaLink.aspx?guid=136975bc-b378-4408-bf7e-dbaa28fe21e6

Cjhebgen re-writing SCO's history on Wikipedia

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://messages.finance.yahoo.com/Stocks_(A_to_Z)/Stocks_S/threadview?m=tm&bn=2942&tid=415572&mid=415572&tof=5&frt=2

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista--Microsoft’s latest operating system--may prove to be most
| appropriately named, especially for those seeking evidence of how a
| computer was used.
`----

http://www.abanet.org/journal/ereport/jy13tkjasn.html

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Forget-about-the-WGA-20-Windows-Vista-Features-and-Services-Harvest-User-Data-for-Microsoft-58752.shtml

Microsoft patents the mother of all adware systems

,----[ Quote ]
| The adware framework would leave almost no data untouched in its quest to
| sell you stuff. It would inspect "user document files, user e-mail files,
| user music files, downloaded podcasts, computer settings, computer status
| messages (e.g., a low memory status or low printer ink)," and more. How could
| we have been so blind as to not see the marketing value in computer status
| messages?
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070717-microsoft-patents-the-mother-of-all-adware-systems.html

New software can identify you from your online habits

,----[ Quote ]
| That is the spectre raised by new research conducted by Microsoft.
| The computing giant is developing software that could accurately
| guess your name, age, gender and potentially even your location,
| by analysing telltale patterns in your web browsing history. But
| experts say the idea is a clear threat to privacy - and may be
| illegal in some places.
`----

http://www.newscientisttech.com/article.ns?id=mg19426046.400&feedId=being-human_rss20
http://tinyurl.com/2lrazk

Microsoft could be teaching police to hack Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft may begin training the police in ways to break the
| encryption built into its forthcoming Vista operating system.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2150555/microsoft-teaching-police-hack

UK holds Microsoft security talks

,----[ Quote ]
| "UK officials are talking to Microsoft over fears the new version of
| Windows could make it harder for police to read suspects' computer files."

Data Protection Commissioner criticizes search of private PCs online

,----[ Quote ]
| "In the case of a search via the Internet a police officer covertly,
| without the person knowing about it, accesses a person's computer."
| During such an operation he or she might copy data and obtain all
| kinds of personal documents; the police officer was acting as a "state
| hacker," so to speak. Mr. Schaar observed. "Such an approach is in
| conflict with the legal obligation to protect the core of
| individuals' privacy," Mr. Schaar stated emphatically.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/82529/from/rss09

Could Hollywood hack your PC?

,----[ Quote ]
| Congress is about to consider an entertainment industry proposal
| that would authorize copyright holders to disable PCs used for
| illicit file trading.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-945923.html

Researchers: Forensics software can be hacked

,----[ Quote ]
| Based on their findings, Stamos's team believes that the EnCase software is
| not written as securely as it should and could theoretically be exploited by
| an attacker.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=2057073648&rid=-50

Microsoft trying to derail Google/DoubleClick deal by lobbying congress

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has hired lobbying firm Patton Boggs LLC to do work on "competitive
| issues surrounding Google/DoubleClick [sic] merger."
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070816-microsoft-spends-40000-to-lobby-congress-about-googledoubleclick-merger.html

Microsoft's 'Men in Black' kill Florida open standards legislation

| It was just a bit of text advocating open data formats that was slipped into
| a Florida State Senate bill at the last minute with no fanfare, but within
| 24 hours three Microsoft-paid lobbyists, all wearing black suits, were
| pressuring members of the Senate Committee on Governmental Operations
| (COGO) to remove the words they didn't like from Senate bill 1974.
`----

http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/04/16/2019244&from=rss

Politicians in Microsoft's Pocket

,----[ Quote ]
| Continuing on the theme of which politicians are receiving money from
| who. Here is a list of candidates who took money from MSFT.
`----

http://www.fonz.net/blog/archives/2007/06/04/politicians-in-microsofts-pocket/

Bill Gates to address Senate panel

,----[ Quote ]