Re: [News] Virtualisation -- Linux First, Windows Later

____/ [H]omer on Tuesday 28 August 2007 07:35 : \____

>> Fastscale puts VMware on a diet
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Fastscale remains a Linux-only thang but has Windows support scheduled to
>> | arrive in the fourth quarter. It also plans to support the Xen hypervisor
>> | in the fourth quarter in conjunction with its support for Red Hat
>> | Enterprise Linux 5. "We have pushed out our Solaris plans solely because
>> | we have not had customer demand," LeBlanc said.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/27/fastscale_vmware_virtual_manager/
>
> Ooh I /like/ this:
>
> .----
> | Fastscale stands as one of the more unique virtualization-type
> | companies out there. It relies on a repository of OSes,
> | applications, libraries, configuration files and drivers to send
> | out lightweight software bundles to servers. An administrator, for
> | example, can tell the Fastscale management server to fire up a box
> | with WebLogic running on Red Hat Enterprise Linux, and the
> | repository will deliver all the goods out to the hardware on its
> | own.
> |
> | The real magic of Fastscale's technology goes beyond this basic
> | provisioning. The company has created super thin versions of
> | operating systems and applications by stripping out most of the
> | general purpose software components. If you want to run WebLogic on
> | Red Hat, Fastscale will install an anorexic version of Red Hat that
> | has only what it needs to run an application server. In many cases,
> | Fastscale can craft OS and application images that consume only MBs
> | of space, as opposed to GBs.
> `----
>
> Provisioning tools are getting /very/ sophisticated. I couldn't find any
> prices listed at FastScale though, so I'm guessing it's expensive. I'll
> stick with rolling my own and/or rBuilder, for now ;)

Yeah, I was going to mention rPath (RHAT spinoff), but it's proprietary.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "I regularly SSH to God's brain and reboot"
 08:00:05 up 21 days, 10:53,  6 users,  load average: 1.31, 1.13, 1.52