Re: [News] XBox360 is Hot (Too Hot!), Runs GNU/Linux Again

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Jerry McBride
<mcbrides9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Sat, 25 Aug 2007 14:01:15 -0400
<ac76q4xpj7.ln2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> XBox360: Timing Attack Tested Succesfully: Downgrade from any Kernel
>> without CPU-Key
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | (it's an open source project :)) and things get optimized and developed
>> | further it might open homebrew and linux for the Xbox360 on a much
>> | larger scale soon.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EElZluZypZpmixPJrS.php
>>

> This is really interesting news for me. It pretty much says that I will be
> able to buy XBOX360's (at their new, reduced price no less) and beging to
> make them available as low cost, high performance linux appliances again.

Assuming, of course, that they don't overheat.  I'd be a
little worried about that, myself; there are healthier
alternatives.

> Most excellent.
>
> How much does microsoft loose on each xbox360 sale?

There are suggestions that Microsoft is making a tiny profit...though
that was before the gigantic recall, plus many users ship back their
duds to receive -- another dud -- according to some reports.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #12398234:
void f(char *p) {char *q = strdup(p); strcpy(p,q);}