[News] Unrest Inside Microsoft -- People Leave, Investors Grow Impatient

  • Subject: [News] Unrest Inside Microsoft -- People Leave, Investors Grow Impatient
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 12:09:17 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Will Work For Food: Why I Left Microsoft for a Startup

,----[ Quote ]
| While I was at Microsoft, many things didn’t make sense to me. I didn’t
| understand the massive “re-orgs”, which, if you hadn’t heard about ahead of
| time, it meant nothing material changed for you. I didn’t understand why we’d
| try to enter dominated markets with an uncompetitive offering. I didn’t
| understand those little table tents on the cafeteria tables or the giant
| banners and posters promoting intranet websites. I didn’t understand why site
| searches on MSDN were abysmal. I wasn’t the only one who was confused.
`----

http://blog.redfin.com/blog/2007/08/will_work_for_food_why_i_left_microsoft_for_a_startup_.html

Microsoft -- Growth play, value play, or just lousy play?

,----[  Gist ]
| 1) Fact: Microsoft stock has performed abysmally over the past 5 years
|
| 2) Fact: Investors have been more than patient
|
| 3) Fact: Management's statements are at odds with observable facts and the
|    stock's performance
|
| 4) Fact: The leadership team's actual track record of investments is
|    decidedly mixed, if not in fact poor.
|
| 5) Fact: Management is arguing with the market and results, and shareholders
|    are paying the freight for that hubris and failure
|
| 6) Fact: External shareholder are the majority owners of this company
`----

http://msftextrememakeover.blogspot.com/2007/08/growth-play-value-play-or-just-lousy.html

Remember that Microsoft is still buying back its own shares to keep the stock
from falling (as it did before the buybacks began).

Related:

Software Notebook: Microsoft's cash pile isn't what it used to be

,----[ Quote ]
| But Microsoft has taken a series of steps to reduce its cash
| balance. Specifically, by Microsoft's count, the company has
| paid out nearly $100 billion through dividends and repurchasing
| its own stock in the past five years.
`----

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/309852_software02.html

Microsoft to partners: It's time to change

,----[ Quote ]
| Aiming to rally its partners around the reality of hosted software, Microsoft
| Chief Operating Officer Kevin Turner told them it was a matter of financial
| life and death.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6195764.html

How Much is Too Much?

,----[ Summary ]
| Microsoft says it will stick with Xbox. But with years of heavy losses
| behind it, the pressure's on for the gaming division to make good
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/innovate/content/oct2006/id20061013_283856.htm?campaign_id=rss_topStories
http://tinyurl.com/yxdr4j

Microsoft expected to post flat fourth quarter profit

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp., the world's biggest software company, is expected to post
| profit that is little changed from a year ago when it reports fourth quarter
| results next Thursday, as it takes a $1 billion charge due to flaws in its
| Xbox video game console.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/microsoft-quarterly-profit-expected-little/story.aspx?guid=%7BDFC51A5D-8E0F-4EE6-BA34-9FA3B53807EA%7D&siteid=yhoof#017059347292305294773

Microsoft stoic despite massive losses

,----[ Quote ]
| If you were to judge by the PR rhetoric, you'd think the 360 was
| an unstoppable commercial juggernaut. As usual though, PR lies.
`----

http://www.gamerscan.com/articles/06/10/09/microsofts.massive.losses/

Microsoft Hides Its Mobile and Business Apps Divisions

,----[ Quote ]
| The company is folding its two worst-performing divisions -- Microsoft
| Business Solutions (its business applications unit) and its Mobile and
| Embedded units -- into the Microsoft Business Division and Microsoft Home
| and Entertainment units, respectively.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1990243,00.asp?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

A Dozen Stocks For '07

,----[ Quote ]
| Millen also thinks $36 billion in planned share buybacks
| will help the stock.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2006/12/05/stocks-markets-investing-pf-ii-cz_ag_1205stockpicks.html?partner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/yjzfbo

Microsoft counts on Vista to recharge stagnant stock

,----[ Quote ]
| There was a time in the 1990s when shares of Microsoft stock seemed to
| double every couple of years. 1996: college for the kids. 1998: a place
| on Whidbey. 1999: early retirement.
|
| Times have changed.
`----

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2003437957_vista19.html

Commentary: Microsoft needs more than just buybacks to lift its shares

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7B685EFB89%2D5791%2D4E8B%2DAD6A%2D9688F5B6012A%7D&source=blq%2Fyhoo&dist=yhoo&siteid=yhoo