Wal-Mart Plays Only with Windows; !! FALSE !!

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

,----[ Quote ]
| Wal-Mart has started offering Universal music tracks in the unprotected MP3 | format, as promised. These play anywhere, but the site only works with | Windows... `----

This is truly weird, but you CAN download non-DRM'd MP3s with Linux from Wal-Mart. Here's how I found out. I tried Linux and it wouldn't work with Wal-Mart (at first), so I went to my kids' Windows PC and connected. When I tried to buy and download an MP3, I got an offer to download a downloader and a Microsoft security program. I declined and phoned Wal-Mart. I said I wanted the music without the new security program.

So... Wal-Mart told me I just had to go to http://musicdownloads.walmart.com and I could buy music without the "security" program. But I did need the downloader still.

Well, I pointed my Linux box at http://musicdownloads.walmart.com and Firefox got me in directly. I then ordered a non-DRM mp3. Walmart sent me a file, which, when I opened it with wine, downloaded the mp3. No fuss, no trouble at all.

The music store is pretty clunky, and not all songs are in mp3, and the mp3 songs cost $00.06 more than WMA files, but you CAN buy clean mp3s from Wal-Mart.

dbriley