Re: [News] Google Thrives, So Microsoft Takes Over US Government (a Whole GROUP of Lobbyists)

On Sat, 25 Aug 2007 00:49:29 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> ____/ Kier on Friday 24 August 2007 22:38 : \____
>
>> On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 20:55:00 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 24 August 2007 18:38 : \____

>>> She attacked [H]omer, so she'll need to earn back the trust. Feeding scum
>>> (with a proven track record) like 'Hadron' and 'DFS' while attacking
>>> altruism is inexcusable.
>>
>> Is there some reason [H]omer is to be immune from criticism? Waterskiddoo
>> attacked excessive zealotry in the advocacy of Linux, which in her
>> opinion, was not a productive thing (and I agree with that). Extremism is
>> rarely a useful attitude.
>
> What is extremist? Suggesting that Ballmer is committing crimes? he does. We
> saw court evidence. Criticising a company for coordinated abuse which is
> organised up above? Why not? If not here, where else?

Everywhere, so it seems. MS-bashing seems to be a pastime for many
armchair pundits.

> [H]omer's posts are both powerful and eloquent. They are among my favourite
> because they bluntly state the truth without stereotypes, racism, or insults.

Hardly. He regularly insults people. What do you think attacking
waterskiddoo isabout - being nice? You doo realise that waterskiddoo stood
up for both you and Mark Kent, when you were being atacked for your views
by the likes of Hadron, don't you? And that she's spoken up many times for
Linux also. Yet [H]omer decides, just because she also says that
over-zealous advocates are harming the Linux cause, that she's
automatically a troll, and you fall into line right away.

> Being frank sometimes means being blunt. It does not make the argument
> erroneous.

Waterskiddoo was also frank and blunt, but all it got her was insults and
accusations that shes not a Linux advocate. It's got to work both ways, or
not at all.

[H]omer *is* an extremist, IMO. His views are not universally agreed with.
He's entitled to be as extreme as he likes - goodness knows, RMS is much
the same - but he shouldn't expect everyone else to share his views and
not to point out when they believe them to be wrong. That's what debate is
about.

We should be discussing Linux in this group and the issues surrounding it,
but all most posters here seem to do it slag off MS and Windows, and yap
endlessly about killfiles and so-called 'trollfeeding'. HOw is that
helping the cause of Linux advocacy?

--
Kier