[News] Sun's JAVA Move Confirms Inability to Compete with GNU/Linux?

  • Subject: [News] Sun's JAVA Move Confirms Inability to Compete with GNU/Linux?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 06:31:54 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Sun Stock Ticker Catches Up with Reality

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux was starting to get traction in the business market for the first
| time, and Linux could do some of the things that high-priced SPARC
| systems could do on low-end x86 systems.
|
| At first, Sun ignored Linux. Sure, Linux could do some little network
| jobs —low usage Web and file servers —but serious network serving?
| Workstation work? You had to be joking, was the common attitude at Sun.
|
| But to show it was willing, Sun bought a Linux appliance company,
| Cobalt, in late 2000. But by 2003, Sun killed off its $2-billion
| Linux purchase. Why? Because, Sun's high-profit margin SPARC
| camp had no use for Linux-based systems.

Sun Sparc defectors tap Transitive for Linux migrations

,----[ Quote ]
| One such customer is London-based King's College Hospital NHS Foundation
| Trust, which used QuickTransit to move off Solaris/Sparc onto Linux/x86 in
| July.
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1268396,00.html

Sun set on server business?

,----[ Quote ]
| In many ways, Sun is becoming Red Hat.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1336

Sun's X64-Based Streaming Server Runs on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux used in the system is one that Kealia created for itself
| based on an undisclosed commercial distribution with some real-time
| hooks in it to boost the responsiveness of the system. Over the long
| haul, you can bet that Sun will port the Streaming System software
| to Solaris.
`----

http://www.itjungle.com/breaking/bn042607-story01.html

Sun boots workstation roots in favor of JAVA ticker

,----[ Quote ]
| After some corporate maneuvering, SourceForge now trades under LNUX at about
| $3.50 per share. Let's all remember the good old days.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/23/sun_no_sunw_java/

SUN FUD: "Save a Penguin, Unplug a Linux Server" May Win Most-Flamable E-Mail
Award

,----[ Quote ]
| I just got an e-mail from Sun which is probably the largest violation
| of L. Ron Hubbard's Survey tech that I've ever seen. It was an e-mail
| with the title of, "Save a Penguin - Unplug a Linux Server Today".
`----

http://jetteroheller.wordpress.com/2007/05/03/save-a-penguin-unplug-a-linux-server-may-win-most-flamable-e-mail-award/

SUN FUD: Changing the game again

,----[ Quote ]
| Lim [of Sun] said that the web tier as done by Linux is pretty much "Mickey
| Mouse," in that today's Web 2.0 applications are hanging on a thread, based
| on operating systems which are doing much more than what they were originally
| designed  for.
`----

http://www.bangkokpost.com/Database/22Aug2007_data51.php

Morton: no merging of OpenSolaris with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Don’t expect to see key features of OpenSolaris showing up in the Linux
| kernel, said a top  Linux maintainer.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1295

Sun Microsystems to reduce work force

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun has been aggressively cutting costs since Jonathan Schwartz took over as
| chief executive in April 2006 from co-founder Scott McNealy.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070807/ap_on_hi_te/sun_microsystems_job_cuts

Sun CEO: "Proprietary"...did more damage to sun than any market downturn

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/04/sun_ceo_proprie.html