[News] The MSBBC Looks at the Linux-based $100 Laptop

  • Subject: [News] The MSBBC Looks at the Linux-based $100 Laptop
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 06:14:42 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Under the hood of the $100 laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| Nevertheless, the One Laptop Per Child Project is facing serious competition
| from at least two directions.
|
| "The first front is from Intel, which has a classmate PC project. It is
| significantly more expensive, estimated at $400," says Ken Fisher from Ars
| Technica, a PC enthusiasts website.
|
| "Also Microsoft has announced that it is selling a reduced rate Windows and
| Office package for $3 in certain countries."
|
| "So, in terms of the project not being able to worry about money I think that
| is a very naive point of view."
`----

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/6962035.stm

Related:

OLPC team shows off UI design

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall, the demonstration was impressive from a design standpoint, although
| the educational aspects and project criticisms were basically glossed over.
| There are still a few remaining UI elements that seemed overly complicated,
| such as a color picker in the drawing activity with hue and saturation
| controls, but on a purely technical level the XO looked very easy to use, and
| its collaboration features were extremely impressive.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070822-olpc-team-shows-off-ui-design.html

Child's play: Sneaking a peek at the OLPC OS

,----[ Quote ]
| The first One Laptop Per Child hardware devices are still months
| from deployment, but you can sneak a peek at their Sugar desktop
| environment and bundled applications by running an OS image under
| an emulator.
`----

http://applications.linux.com/applications/06/11/30/206212.shtml?tid=26

(Video) OLPC Interface Walkthrough