Re: India Won't Endorse Microsoft's Office Standard

____/ John Bailo, Texeme.Construct on Friday 24 August 2007 20:32 : \____

http://www.forbes.com/2007/08/24/microsoft-office-standard-markets-equity-cx_rd_0824markets03.html?partner=yahootix

> ----
> India has become the latest country to reject Microsoft's global bid
> to provide an alternative standard for electronic office documents.
> India will now vote against Microsoft's proposal at the International
> Organization for Standardization (ISO) in Geneva, joining countries
> like China and Canada.
>
> After a meeting of the Bureau of Indian Standards in New Delhi
> Thursday, its technical committee chairperson, Nita Verma, told the
> media: "We unanimously agree on the disapproval of OOXML [Open Office
> Extensible Mark Up Language] with comments. The same will be submitted
> to ISO."
> ----

If it were not for the manipulation, all nations would have rejected this
absurd proprietary format, which simply cannot be standardised. There is
already an open (and elegant) standard.

The pattern of behaviour that is seen in OOXML's ratification attempt has led
to revolt in places. It is not healthy to Microsoft's image.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: There are five regular polyhedra
Mem:    515500k total,   444916k used,    70584k free,     1020k buffers