[News] [Rival] Microsoft Lies and Lies and Lies About OOXML

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Lies and Lies and Lies About OOXML
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 23:09:11 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
MSOOXML: Third Party Support - Apple iWork '08

,----[ Quote ]
| When Apple released iWork '08, the Microsoft bloggers immediately jumped in
| to comment on how this is proof that MSOOXML is easily implementable by third
| parties. First of all, we need to realise that Apple sits in the Technical
| Committee at Ecma which "developed" this so called standard. So we should not
| be surprised at all if they have support of this file format in their
| upcoming products including the iPhone.
|
| What is not said however, and I have been waiting for days for a response
| from Microsoft's Stephen McGibbon, is why Apple does NOT really support
| MSOOXML....
|
| And it gets more interesting. The Cybertech Rambler has taken some time out
| to review the file formats in iWork '08. ...He also confirms what the
| Microsofties refuse to confirm: "on closer reading of iWorks website and
| documentation, it appears that iWorks can only read OOXML file but cannot
| write it. That’s a pity."
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2007/08/msooxml-third-p.html

Correcting false statements by Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| I think it is important to correct the false - or maybe misquoted -
| statements by Vijay Kapoor, national technology officer of Microsoft India
| that I found in this interview under the question "Why does Microsoft want
| another standard, what's the rationale?". Microsoft starts the reply
| with "There are at least 4 good reasons why:" and then states the first
| reason.
|
| [...]
|
| Thus, all in all, the arguments provided by Microsoft in the interview don't
| seem to be valid.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/correcting_false_statements_by_microsoft

Microsoft cannot resolve OOXML JTC1 ballot comments

,----[ Quote ]
| Unless, of course, Microsoft = OOXML as far as ECMA is concerned. If this is
| the case, I would like to hear this from ECMA because it would simplify
| matters.
`----

http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=1807

Related:

[OOXML:] e to the power of hype

,----[ Quote ]
| Exponential growth is quite a claim. But what is the evidence? Microsoft
| provides this chart further down on the page, showing the growth in
| their "community":
`----

http://www.robweir.com/blog/2007/08/e-to-power-of-hype.html

OSIA takes issue with OOXML, lobbies Standards Australia

,----[ Quote ]
| Opposition to the endorsement of the program comes on top of the suspected
| stacking by Microsoft of a variety of standards bodies in order to get OOXML
| approved as the ISO standard. "This was not part of OSIA's submission and is
| not anything OSIA has direct knowledge of", said Scott. "However, there are a
| number of people who assert that Microsoft is doing as you suggest", he said.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=562760212&rid=-50

Report from Australia - the OOXML Forum

,----[ Quote ]
| I'd say things look grim in Australia, but it's not too late to express
| yourself to Australia Standards. The public is encouraged to continue to send
| comments until August 21.

No is no, to OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
`----