Re: 26 Reasons to Choose Linux

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, mr.macfeelme@xxxxxxxxx
<mr.macfeelme@xxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Fri, 24 Aug 2007 12:25:02 -0700
<1187983502.477194.259260@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Aug 12, 10:24 pm, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> 25 reasons to switch to Linux
>
> 25?
> Other than the fact it's free, I can't think of one.
> Evidently many people agree with me because Linux's desktop market
> presence is virtually zero.

Indeed.  Obviously, everyone chooses Windows.

FSVO "choose".

And in any event, remember that Windows TCO is less than
Linux TCO; therefore the "freeness" of Linux is quickly
swallowed up by the cheaper TCO of Windows.  For example:

[1] Linux in a zx90.  Muy expensivo!  We're talking
at least a megabuck here, or at least a large number of
hundreds of thousands.  IBM plays some interesting games
regarding z-OS as well; my understanding is that $50,000
is needed to license the underlayer.  Linux, of course,
is free, and this would be a powerful solution, for those
who are in need thereof.

[2] Microsoft Windows Server Edition on a $2000 x86 server.
Exact same functionality, maybe a small decrease in
performance.  OK, a *large* decrease in performance,
and maybe some slight differences in functionality.
But never mind, after adding up the exasperation of
the support groups for strange behavior from IE, the
additional hardware required (mostly firewall-type stuff),
the software for anti-virus scans on Windows (that Windows
can't protect against), and of course the racks and roller
skates, Windows is still cheaper.  Of course, the loss of
business because the server is down doesn't really count as
an expense, does it?

</sarcasm>

To be fair, the above relates to servers...but then, Microsoft
Windows should be put on servers as well as clients, for the
maximum amount of lock-in^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hleveraging of Microsoft
functionality on the servers by those clients.  Embrace and
extend, making everyone happier.

(Except the actual customers.)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
/dev/signature: Resource temporarily unavailable