Re: [News] Images Show That OpenGL Beats Microsoft's DX10

____/ [H]omer on Thursday 23 August 2007 03:12 : \____

>> DirectX 10 vs OpenGL 2.1 Graphics
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Now check out OpenGL 2.1 vs. DirectX 10 / 9 graphics.
>> `----
>
> Impressive. That face on the bottom left is indistinguishable from the
> real thing. Virtual reality is becoming virtually non-virtual, er...

Girls made out of polygons. The horror!

> And that's just 2.1 (already better than DX10). Imagine how much better
> 3.0 will be.

Hollywood needs it. Lots of money involved. As usaul, Microsoft produces a
vendor-dependent and proprietary toy (for gamers and easy programming), but
the real reliable stuff is maintained by professionals.

>> http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13647
>>
>> Too bad OpenGL does not have a marketing
>> (hype/propaganda/shills/cheerleaders) department.
>
> Well we can take comfort from the fact that the film/spacialFX industry
> is dominated by GNU/Linux, so I don't think OGL will disappear any time
> soon.

Haha. No, it's classic FUD. See the OP. It's very much alive, Linux is all over
the place (and growing).

Studios Using Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://linuxmovies.org/studios.html

,----[ Quote ]
| "Linux is the default operating [system] on desktops and servers at major
| animation and visual effects studios, with maybe 98 percent [or more]
| penetration," CinePaint Project Manager Robin Rowe told LinuxInsider.
`----

http://www.ecommercetimes.com/rsstory/57300.html

To most people, (a gamer's) desktop PC == market. The big money is in servers
and Sun knows it very well too.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | FreeBSD - sidling with a little devil