[News] Open Source NVIDIA Driver Progress Report (After Binary Blob Disappointments)

  • Subject: [News] Open Source NVIDIA Driver Progress Report (After Binary Blob Disappointments)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 05:04:02 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Nouveau Companion 26

,----[ Quote ]
| Through a joint effort between Phoronix and the Nouveau project, we will now
| be publishing the Nouveau Companion (also known as the Irregular
| Nouveau-Development Companion) on Phoronix to update the progress made by
| these developers working on an open-source display driver for NVIDIA's
| complete selection of hardware from the NV0x chips to the latest models in
| the GeForce and Quadro series.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=812&num=1

The binary drivers not only expose Linux, but they affect Windows in a similar
fashion.

Yesterday:

NVIDIA Blob Has Security Hole, Again

,----[ Quote ]
| Another security problem has crept up with NVIDIA's binary blob display
| driver for their GeForce and Quadro graphics cards.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjAwMQ

Related:

NVIDIA abandons Vista media center users

,----[ Quote ]
| Thinking of building a Vista-based media center? Don't even bother with
| the NVIDIA graphics cards, because NVIDIA hasn't bothered to enable some
| of the most important features in its Vista drivers.
`----

http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12927&Itemid=1086

Nvidia delays DX 10 drive

,----[ Quote ]
| NVidia still doesn't have a public DirectX 10 driver for Geforce 8800
| GTX. We and a few thousand of lucky DX 10 hardware owners are still waiting
| impatiently for one.

Vista not currently supported by nVidia

,----[ Quote ]
| On nVidia's site, the most recent driver they provide is ForceWare
| 96.85. This driver was released on October 17, 2007 and states
| support for Vista RC2. This driver has very minimal functionality
| and basically provides enough features to support a higher
| resolution and multiple monitors.
|
| Being one month past the corporate release of Vista and less
| than one month to go until the public release of Vista, nVidia's
| most recent driver is 3 months old and does not officially support
| the released version of Vista.
`----

http://everything-pc.blogspot.com/2007/01/vista-not-currently-supported-by-nvidia.html

Willing to buy a high-end, free-software-only laptop?

,----[ Quote ]
| To that end I’d like to build up a list of people who are interested in this
| idea, and would potentially buy a high-powered laptop if it were guaranteed
| to work completely with free software drivers and OpenBIOS.
`----

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/131

Nouveau Driver 2D performance exceeds Nvidia driver

,----[ Quote ]
| Richard Hughes has just published results from the gtkperf performance test.
|
| Results:
|
|     Nouveau: 24.86 seconds
|     NV: 40.78 seconds
`----

http://linuxupdate.blogspot.com/2007/07/nouveau-driver-2d-performance-exceeds.html

Nouveau: Where It Stands Today

,----[ Quote ]
| The Nouveau driver is making some terrific progress and we look forward
| to seeing what all can be accomplished by the end of this year.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=765&num=1

Nouveau: A First Look

,----[ Quote ]
| So when will the Nouveau driver be ready? The Wiki states that the
| project should be mostly usable in autumn 2007. Keith Packard had
| previously expressed hope that the driver would be ready in time
| for the X.Org 7.3 release.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=614&num=1

First Open Graphics board appears

,----[ Quote ]
| This project is on the basis that a GPU should not end up with
| tons of propriatary software or hardware, containing hidden
| problems that aren't mentioned to the press, and yet cause
| nervous breakdowns for developers worldwide.

Interview: Timothy Miller, Open Graphics Project

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://linuxgazette.net/130/ruecker.html