[News] XenSource (Citrix) Says that Xen Community Will Live

  • Subject: [News] XenSource (Citrix) Says that Xen Community Will Live
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 01:13:16 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
XenSource's Levine And Citrix's Wasson Explain Future Virtualization Moves

,----[ Quote ]
| We started in parallel with the acquisition discussions to elevate the Xen
| project and community by appointing a panel to provide oversight during the
| transition. It will maintain a distinction between the open source code and
| commercial efforts. ... We are working on that collaboratively with IBM,
| Intel, HP, Novell, and Red Hat. We are just coming up with a model for that
| in the next 45 to 60 days. The industry absolutely wants us to do that.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/software/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201801595&cid=RSSfeed_IWK_News

Related:

Will Microsoft Buy the New Citrix?

,----[ Quote ]
| VMware, holding some 85 percent of the market, with its VI3 technologies
| offers a fully integrated stack and represents a third generation of
| virtualization technology, while Viridian and Xen-based products, including
| SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5, XenEnterprise
| and Virtual Iron, remain second-generation products, the report stated.

What the XenSource deal says about open source

,----[ Quote ]
| This is what Citrix is paying for. That and a close relationship with
| Microsoft that looks likely to get closer. “We will be building dynamic
| virtualization services and management tools on top of Viridian,” Levine
| added. “We will build the same set of products we’ve built on top of Xen for
| Viridian. We’ve already hired a team to go do that up in Redmond.”
|
| While Citrix maintained it will continue support for the Xen project, this
| deal is not about a proprietary vendor getting open source religion. It's
| about grabbing an emerging player in a rapidly expanding sector of the
| market.
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/08/what_the_xensou.html

Increasing Virtualization Insanity