[News] Paramount Admits DRM (for Video) Has Problems

  • Subject: [News] Paramount Admits DRM (for Video) Has Problems
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 00:48:43 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Paramount: DRM may not (at least right now) please consumers

,----[ Quote ]
| "Interoperability (presents) an impediment to digital distribution," he said
| during remarks at the Progress and Freedom Foundation's Aspen Summit. "I'm
| pretty confident that in the end solutions will be found. It's just a
| question of how much heat and pressure we feel before we see the light."
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9764237-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Nevertheless, some shops (there's another one in France now) have taken the
route of renting and subscription for content. Forget about ownership. DRM.

Microsoft appears to be have been leaning towards watermarking recently.

Recent:

World's largest music retailer ditches DRM, not censorship

,----[ Quote ]
| DRM isn't yet dead in the music business, but it has a nasty, hacking cough.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070821-worlds-largest-music-retailer-ditches-drm-not-censorship.html

Related:

Music DRM in critical condition: Universal tests DRM free music sales

,----[ Quote ]
| Universal Music Group has announced that the company is going to test selling
| DRM-free music to consumers in order to assess the market.

AmieStreet.com Announces Series A Financing Led By Amazon.com

,----[ Quote ]
| Anyone can upload their music to AmieStreet.com, and all songs are
| downloadable in DRM-free mp3 format.
`----

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/prnewswire/NYM01106082007-1.htm

Losses widen at Warner

,----[ Quote ]
| Big-selling albums by Linkin Park and the White Stripes were not enough to
| prevent widening losses at Warner Music, which suffered a drop in income as
| fans shifted from compact discs to digital downloads.
`----

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2143551,00.html

EMI pays price for not moving with the times

,----[ Quote ]
| In regards to EMI's recent joint venture with iTunes which offers DRM-free
| downloads the group found that "early revenue indications for this initiative
| are encouraging," according to breitbart.com.

EMI has DRM free sales boom

,----[ Quote ]