Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Breaks Promise of XBox360 Profitability, Failure Rates Alarming

____/ BearItAll on Tuesday 21 August 2007 13:36 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> [Forget about it being profitable in 2008. Peter has jumped the ship and
>> [sales
>> have recently sunk, just like the price.]
>>
>> Microsoft: Xbox profits may take at least two more years
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Microsoft COO Kevin Turner admitted last week that it may take at least
>> | two to three more years before the Xbox 360 turns a profit.
>> `----
>>
>> http://gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=129788&AFC-HSUIT&ATTR=DIGG
>>

> I can't see it happening. I still say that Tescos is a great guide to games
> machines and games sales. Simply because they give more shelf space to
> those things that sell best.
>
> Wii's shelf space has grown much larger over recent months, one whole side
> to itself. Admitedly XBox360 space has grown again, it was down to enough
> space for about ten games, now they have a half rack. PS2 still has the
> lions share, full rack but some stacked sideways to fit them in. PS3's is
> about the same as XBox360's. The Nintendo has more space than the Xbox360
> but less than the Wii.
>
> The Wii is very popular, there's always people browsing their shelves, the
> others tend to get occasional browsers.

Nintendo outsells some other consoles (even combined) and with momentum like
this it's likely to become the PS2 of this generation. XBox360 is a mess and
Peter's departure spoke volume. Other key people from the XBox team left in
recent months. The only thing keeping that unit alive is lavish advertising
and sales at _far_ below manufacturing cost.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | LINUX - (L)ove (I)s (N)ever (U)tterly eXPensive
         run-level 2  2007-08-06 21:07                   last=