Re: [News] Music Industry, Exploitation and Colonialism in OLPC FUD

____/ [H]omer on Tuesday 21 August 2007 18:31 : \____

>> Software tool promises 1-click colonialism
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The music industry has a long and shameful history of robbing black
>> | artists of their rights. Now along comes some new software that will help
>> | speed up the job. Think of it as a sort of 1-Click "non-payment" system.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/20/one_click_colonialism/
>>
>> More lost identity.
>
> I don't know if you read this article all the way through, but it's a
> heavily bigoted anti-CC, anti-Freedom, anti-OLPC piece, that is little
> more than factually inaccurate trash writing.

Yes, I read it. Quite surprising knowing the person who wrote it.

> He quotes "Fake Steve", a.k.a. Daniel "Lying" Lyons for "evidence" of
> the OLPC's failure. He claims the CC facilitates and encourages
> /plagiarism/, whilst conveniently overlooking the fact that the cc-by-sa
> *requires* attribution ... hence the name.

He quoted that Forbed puppet? I hadn't realised this. BTW, yesterday afternoon
I spotted a page where I'm compared to Lyon's 'protege'.

http://caps.fool.com/Blogs/ViewPost.aspx?bpid=13953&t=01005232244381733972

Fool.com is kiting for MSFT. Shill site in disguise.

> As Courtney Love said in her famous article, the *real* pirates are the
> fat bloated record execs, and this El Reg article appears to echo that
> sentiment to begin with, but it rapidly becomes clear that it is just a
> soapbox for anti-Freedom bigotry.

Bloggers steal the Reg's thunder maybe? A lot of people will be unhappy with
the transition, but economic models are changing.

> AFAICT *this* is what all the fuss is about:
>
> .----
> | Liblicense
> | From CcWiki
> |
> | A library for managing license metadata, in particular CC licensing
> | information.
> |
> | The idea of this library started out on the IRC channel, in a
> | discussion on how to best help boost the community of software
> | developers working with things related to CC - mostly the metadata
> | format.
> |
> | Basically, the idea is to write a portable C library that manages
> | metadata for CC licenses, and a bunch of other licenses of interest
> | to the community.
> `----
>
> http://wiki.creativecommons.org/Liblicense
>
> So the El Reg article is nothing but some anti-Freedom zealot whining
> about a Free license. Big surprise.

I had to read that twice (more of a glance and keyword scan) before posting it
to COLA. At least we can rebut.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Black holes are where God is divided by zero"