[News] Proprietary Software is Tomorrow's Mainframes (Dinosaurs)

  • Subject: [News] Proprietary Software is Tomorrow's Mainframes (Dinosaurs)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 14:22:24 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Tighter budgets mean more Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| So as I look down the road and see a continuous push to reduce costs while
| increasing value, I wonder how much proprietary software companies will be
| purchasing 5-10 years from now. Will it be like the mainframe where the only
| systems left standing are the ones that have no cost justification to
| replace? Will the norm be that new applications move to OSS?
`----

http://opensourcecommunity.org/2007/08/18/tighter-budgets-mean-more-open-source

Even Web sites are starting to create their own custom-made Linux distributions
for site visitors. It's not just about cost, but also about choice, freedom,
and versatility. From the news:

Shift Linux Art Contest: Voting is Open!

http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=view&id=42076