[News] Linux-based Foleo Reviewed, Linux-based Asus Eee Out Next Month

  • Subject: [News] Linux-based Foleo Reviewed, Linux-based Asus Eee Out Next Month
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 13:00:13 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Switched On: The Foleo Imbroglio (Part 2)

,----[ Quote ]
| For now, the low-hanging fruit for the initial product include students,
| conference attendees, bloggers, reporters and the like who want a light,
| inexpensive text-crunching machine and information workers on the leading
| edge of a Web-based workflow.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2007/08/20/switched-on-the-foleo-imbroglio-part-2/

Asus to Start Shipping Eee PC in September.

,----[ Quote ]
| However, as the production increases, more affordable models should become
| widely available also. In 2007 they intend to ship 500,000 units of this
| series, and in 2008 the production should hit 3-5 mln units.
`----

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/display/20070820102938.html

Mobile Linux: The Desktop Developer Killer

,----[ Quote ]
| You can argue about the reasons all you like, but the reality is that the
| Linux Mobile market is red hot right now as all the capital appears to be
| flowing in that direction.
`----

http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=7996

Related:

Glide Sync Now Available for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| With an assist from Glide, you can now access your Linux Thunderbird
| Contacts, Sunbird Calendars and all of your desktop files on the following
| mobile devices: Apple iPhone (Supports Streaming Media), T-Mobile Wing
| (Supports Streaming Media), BlackBerry Curve 8300, Nokia N95 (Supports
| Streaming Media), BlackBerry Pearl (8100), BlackBerry 8700, Cingular 8125
| (Supports Streaming Media), HP iPAQ, HP hw6510, Motorola Razr V3, Motorola
| SLVR, Motorola ROKR, Motorola Q (Supports Streaming Media), Nokia 9300, Nokia
| E62 (Supports Streaming Media), Nokia 6102i (Supports Streaming Media), Nokia
| 6682 (Supports Streaming Media), Palm Treo 650, Palm Treo 680 (Supports
| Streaming Media), Palm Treo 700P, Palm Treo 700W (Supports Streaming Media),
| Palm Treo 750 (Supports Streaming Media), Palm LifeDrive, Samsung Blackjack
| (Supports Streaming Media), Samsung A707 (Supports Streaming Media), Samsung
| D807 (Supports Streaming Media), Samsung A920, LG VX8100, LG VX8300, Sony
| Ericsson w600i, Sony Ericsson w810i, T-Mobile SDA (Supports Streaming Media),
| and T-Mobile SideKick.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/mobile/11174/glide-sync-now-available-linux

Palm Looking For Linux Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| The success of the 2.5-pound device — which turns on and off instantly, touts
| an easy-to-use interface and promises five hours of battery life — could
| depend on how programmers react to it this week at the LinuxWorld conference
| in San Francisco.
`----

http://www.investors.com/editorial/IBDArticles.asp?artsec=17&artnum=2&issue=20070806

$199 Linux Laptop Tantalizes Before Official Launch

,----[ Quote ]
| This solution would work well for many families that just can't afford DSL or
| cable modem service.
`----

http://blogs.pcworld.com/communityvoices/archives/2007/08/199_linux_lapto.html

Palm Foleo with Linux threatens the Laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| The Palm Foleo is joining a list of MID (Mobile Internet Devices) like the
| Nokia N800 and Asus Eee that use a lightweight version of Linux but the main
| advantage of the Foleo is its instant on feature.  While traditional “Linux”
| may be too difficult for the average user to handle, these highly integrated
| implementations of Linux have no problem being adopted by the masses.  That
| could pose a problem for Microsoft in the long run if these devices ever get
| widespread adoption.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=562

Palm Foleo First Thoughts

,----[ Quote ]
| If a picture is worth a thousand words, then a video should be worth a
| whole volume. That's why Brian Beeler and I recorded a brief video
| overview of the Foleo, which will hopefully give you a better idea of
| what it will be like to use the first mobile companion yourself.
`----

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=13139

Pair of Palm ISVs promise Foleo ports

,----[ Quote ]