Re: How to install Ubuntu on Playstation 3 ?

On Dec 10, 10:34 am, monk88825 <monk88...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> You can install Ubuntu Gutsy (as a second operating system) on your
> PlayStation 3 gaming console.

Given that extraordinary new processor (8 core), this is a pretty
exciting new paradigm for a "console", and should make a great Linux
console.

I would love to see Sony introduce a PS3 based computer running
Linux.  You really couldn't call it a PC, perhaps a "Linux Console".
The Ubuntu Studio could be really exciting.  For those not familiar
with Ubuntu Studio, it's a Ubuntu distribution that includes a number
of video and audio editing programs, in addition to the usual
"typical" Linux applications such as Open Office and FireFox.

> For those of you who think for a second
> (and who are scared) that this will replace their PS3 operating
> system, well you guys are wrong, because this will NOT erase your
> PlayStation 3 native operating system (called XMB) and it will run as
> an alternative OS on your PS3 console.

Sounds a bit like a "Live-CD", but reading the instructions it appears
that it's actually more like using the ability to boot from the USB
device (memory stick or USB hard drive).  It's a nice practical
solution to getting Linux started quickly.

> Ready? Are you excited?

Sounds like I might want to get myself a Sony Playstation 3.

Just curious,
does PS3 also support the high density SD-RAM and Memory Sticks (4Gig
and 8 Gig)?
does PS3 support high speed "Ulra-SD"?
What is the maximum memory capacity of the PS3?

> This guide will help you out if you want to install Ubuntu on the
> PS3 :http://cnet.freetzi.com/PS3Unbutu.html

This was a very interesting link.  It looks like it's almost as easy
as installing on "Linux Ready" PCs.
Perhaps this will put more pressure on OEMs to list "Linux
Compatibility" as a feature on packaging and in advertising.

Thanks for this reference.