Re: Free Software Becomes an Appealing Option, Rosegarden 1.6.0 Available

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 17:04:42 -0800 (PST), rboy <rboy505@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>On Dec 9, 7:14 pm, 7 <website_has_em...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> But not a waste of time for the average college kid trying
>> to become a musician free of charge.
>

>The average college kid would consider sitting in front of any of
>these convoluted softwares a waste of time.   They want to record
>stuff, not poke around inside an Atari sequencer wannabe to no avail.

And there lies the problem with Linux.

First you have to get Jack working.
Anyone who has worked with JACk knows it is a clusterfcuk.
Then you have to disable any other sound systems you have running.
Then you have the permissions problems.
Not running as Root, good luck with latency.

And now, even after you manage to get things running, what are you
looking at?
Ardour?
Rosegarden?

Hell, you can download Reaper for free and be palying the Yammy grand
in Ivory in 3 minutes or less (broadband and assuming you already have
Ivory)

Linux?
Yea, some click and point keyboard making 12 bit squeaks and squawks
circa 1975......
And that's assuming you can actually make Linux work.

Sorry, but we all would love nothing better than to not pay $600 to
Digi or Steiny or Cake or whomever, but Linux just ain't the ticket
outta here.