[News] Google's Linux OS a Lot More Than People Realise

  • Subject: [News] Google's Linux OS a Lot More Than People Realise
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 23:08:24 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
More than an open handset OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Blogger Sender11 applauds the fact that user experience experts, and not
| just "uber-geeks and hip turtleneck middle management" are involved in the
| OHA. "I am looking forward to see what those guys can come up with!" he
| writes.
`----

http://www.americasnetwork.com/americasnetwork/Top+Stories/More-than-an-open-handset-OS/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/478034?contextCategoryId=39793
http://tinyurl.com/2n9t2k

Google's Android OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Android is built on open source software. The main operating system is Linux,
| with much of the code open for developers to work with and modify. From a
| legal standpoint, this is licensed under the Apache v2 license.
`----

http://www.mobilenewscwp.co.uk/Columnists/Techwatch/7215/googles_android_os.html

Related:

Why Google sponsored Android is set to be a market force

,----[ Quote ]
| Conversely, the report notes that Android will be less attractive to those
| that want Linux as a kernel with their own differentiated
| applications. “Android may induce handset manufacturers to differentiate more
| on hardware-specific features, such as usability, enhancing the Web
| experience,” the analysts said.
`----

http://www.cpilive.net/v3/inside.aspx?scr=n&NID=1836&cat=TOP%20STORY&pub=COMPUTER%20NEWS%20MIDDLE%20EAST&k=mobility
%20google
http://tinyurl.com/2qb4dt

What Android means for Apple, MS, open source, enterprises

,----[ Quote ]
| The GPhone never happened, but Android is a much more significant development
|
| [...]
|
| A better approach, argues Dan Kohn, COO of the Linux Foundation, is to pick
| one set of standards that IT will support for calendaring, email
| applications, VPN and so on, and tell users they can use any mobile phone
| compatible with those standards.
|
| [...]
|
| What Android means for open source and Linux
| Linux already has a major presence on mobile phones, but the entrance of
| Google and the Open Handset Alliance — which has 34 member organisations
| worldwide — adds to the momentum.
|
| "We're a huge believer in diversity of options on mobile phones," Kohn of the
| Linux Foundation says. "Linux is already an important, growing presence
| there. I think having the Google software as an additional open source option
| is only going to accelerate that adoption."
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/netw/D22188C825F8528FCC257394007BE16D

In praise of Google

,----[ Quote ]
| Google has its problems. I wish it would contribute more source-code
| modifications that it makes to Linux, MySQL, Apache, and others open-source
| projects, for one. But overall, the world is better for Google's sheer power
| of search and minimalist design.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9819638-16.html?tag=head

Funambol CEO Fabrizio Capobianco: Linux Is Mobile's Future

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/60340.html