[News] New Open Source Programming Language Comes from Brasil

  • Subject: [News] New Open Source Programming Language Comes from Brasil
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 22:57:34 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Wavecom offers open source development language

,----[ Quote ]
| Lua is an open source programming language developed at a university in
| Brazil, and Wavecom is offering it free, under the terms of the MIT open
| source license model.
`----

http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=A1BC5068-4FA4-4FF0-8928-E165411239C1

Becoming a Free Software developer, part IV : Putting your interest to good
use.

,----[ Quote ]
| The page says that the requirements for a tester are Linux, an email address
| and KDE 3.3 or newer. Got that nailed, so the plan is this: I join the tester
| and developer mailing lists and watch how the program gets changed. When I
| feel courageous enough, I can even take a look at the source code. Then maybe
| I can copy some of it into a file, get a C++ compiler, and try playing with
| data myself.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/node/2604

Related:

Ministry of Education from Brazil is buying 90,000 Debian GNU Linux computers

,----[ Quote ]
| All computers will be installed at 9000 brazilian schools.
`----

http://www.techforce.com.br/index.php/news/linux_blog/mec_buying_90000_debian_computers

Open source for students: 150,000 laptops may help bridge the digital divide
in Brazil

,----[ Quote ]
| This is an important step, nonetheless. When effectively deployed,
| these first 150,000 computers will help evaluate how to extend
| similar programs to all brazilian students -- no small feat,
| considering that there are more than 50 million students
| enrolled in brazilian public schools today.
`----

http://br-linux.org/brazil/?p=13

Brazil Schoolchildren To Get $100 Laptop PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva on Friday received a version
| of a $100 laptop computer to be distributed nationwide, and 50 were
| expected to be tested in Brazilian schools beginning next week.
`----

http://www.tbo.com/news/nationworld/MGBL1G1JXUE.html

FSFLA frees Brazilian tax software

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/05/11/1813251&from=rss

Brazil Schoolchildren To Get $100 Laptop PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva on Friday received a version
| of a $100 laptop computer to be distributed nationwide, and 50 were
| expected to be tested in Brazilian schools beginning next week.
`----

http://www.tbo.com/news/nationworld/MGBL1G1JXUE.html

EnabledPeople & partners deploys 50,000 Linux desktops in Brazil January 6

,----[ Quote ]
| BitWay Computadores, Imtech Brazil and EnabledPeople launch
| massive deployments of Linux PCs with preinstalled Linux XP
| Desktop software for Brazil goverment program
`----

http://www.enabledpeople.com/blog/2007/01/06/bitway-imtech-enabledpeople-had-deployed-about-50000-linux-desktops-in-brazil-since-september-2006/
http://tinyurl.com/yfy37p

E-Voting Raises New Questions in Brazil