Re: [News] Wine Performance Improvements Investigated in Benchmark

____/ thad05@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Sunday 09 December 2007 04:40 : \____

>> Seven Versions Of WINE Benchmarked
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The performance in the fourteen 3DMark 2001 SE and 3DMark 2003 tests were
>> | fairly consistent in the releases between WINE 0.9.44 and WINE 0.9.50 --
>> | generally only swaying a few frames in either direction -- though the
>> | performance overall has slightly declined and we were surprised by a few
>> | of the results.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=938&num=1
>>
>> Some XP gamers might wish to move towards GNU/Linux, which -- along with
>> Wine -- runs more applications and games than Windows Vista.
>
> A friend of mine was keeping his WindowsXP partition around just
> for playing World of Warcraft.  We got it running under Wine a
> few months ago, but the framerates were just not good enough.
> With AMD's recent OpenGL driver upgrade, however, that has all
> changed.  The framerates under Wine are now on par with Windows
> and he is prepared to dump XP completely.
>
> Thad

With some games, the framerate under Wine was better than under Windows. When
it comes to running native, a recent benchmark showed Linux performance being
20% higher in GNU/Linux (albeit it's game- and card-dependent). With Vista,
things get even /more/ interesting because it is much slower than XP and SP1
will offer nothing when it comes to performance, according to recent research.

For governments that eavesdrop, here is a quick list of tags: Communism,
Hawaiian shirts, China, Suitcase, Martha Stewart, Encryption, Prison, Stalin.
Thanks for tuning in.