Re: [News] Printer 'Pirate' Tax, Hard-drive Software Blocks So-called 'Pirates' (Everyone)

* thad05@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx fired off this tart reply:

> Rick <none@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> He didn't advocate anything that amounts to theft.
>
> I actually am a little troubled by the use of terms like 'piracy' and
> 'theft' when we talk about copyright infringement.  In this case, you
> are not actually denying someone else their property, at most you
> are denying a 'potential' sale.  I'm not saying its OK to do that,
> just that we don't need to create an artificial moral equivalence
> with armed thugs.  When we hand out harsher punishments for copying
> files than we do for armed robbery, something is seriously wrong in
> our society.

I think MP3 stealers should be hung, or drawn and quartered, or
electrocuted, just as if they had boarded a ship, killed people,
and taken the loot.

> Because lets be honest here, 'Intellectual Property' is an artificial
> construct of our society.  It exists only because we all agree that
> it does.  We, as a society, can decide to radically change it and
> society could still function.  If the record labels disappeared and
> musicians had to make more of their living from merchandising and
> touring, well, somehow I think the crops would still get planted and
> the world would keep spinning.

The "record labels" are, like most other entertainment media, artificial
concentrations of marketing power that serve primarily to feed the egos
and coffers of a few egomaniacs.

--
Tux rox!