[News] GNU/Linux Desktop Beauty Without a GPU

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Desktop Beauty Without a GPU
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 01:01:27 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Metacity beats compiz-fusion :P

,----[ Quote ]
| Yes! guys and gals, our beloved window manager is kicking ass in composite
| land. There’s a new branch on metacity subversion were developers are working
| on composite features for metacity. So far we have, transparency, shadow and
| ALT+tab Godness, and now that I’m running a composite WM i can use the nice
| MAC OS X like dock bar, AWN. All this without the lag (and CPU masacre)
| introduced in compiz-fusion when scrolling applications.
`----

http://dagus.org/2007/11/28/metacity-beats-compiz-fusion-p/

KDE ~3.3+ has all these features as well. KDE 4.0 is stunning and there's also
Metisse.

Related:

Metisse on GNU/Linux demo

,----[ Quote ]
| A demo of Metisse, an X-based window system designed with two goals in
| mind: make it easy to design and implement innovative window
| management techniques and conform to existing standards and be
| robust and efficient enough to be used on a daily basis, making
| it a suitable platform for the evaluation of the proposed techniques
`----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxsUKX6xXyE

UI innovation:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gp8GzKwBdsg

Metisse -- you thought you knew what 3D was?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://polishlinux.org/apps/window-managers/metisse-you-thought-you-knew-what-3d-was/

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AT89IOci5FA&NR