Re: Roy's podcast

* amicus_curious fired off this tart reply:

> "Linonut" <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>
>> You're nuts.  C# /is/ a Microsoft language.  Java /is/ a Sun language.
>> And C used to be an AT&T language, until it escaped.
>>
>> They all have alternate implementations, but the fact remains that
>> Microsoft and Sun still call the shots on their languages.
>>
> The C# language is somewhat separable from the usage, I think.  Microsoft
> certainly leads in what goes into the System. and Microsoft. namespaces,
> which form the .NET releases, but I don't think that they can dictate any
> change to the actual language syntax without convincing the ISO committee
> members to go along.  OTOH, I do belive that Java is not under the ISO due
> to some move by Sun to withdraw the standardization attempt.  But that may
> not be true, just something that passed by my interest.
>
> Microsoft does lead the development, though.  If they introduce something
> new in a .NET release, they spend a lot of time telling developers how cool
> it is and how they should jump right on it to save development time and
> improve performance.  Mono folk pretty much have to follow or be left out in
> the cold.  The opposite doesn't work because the Mono effort cannot begin to
> publicize some change they might want at the level necessary to get the herd
> to stampede their way.

'Tis true.

Check out "The Dynamics of Software Development", Jim McCarthy Microsoft
Press.  Jim was the team lead for the Visual C++ team.  He talks about
the glee they got from beating Borland.

He also talks about how Microsoft's goal is to drive development, and
drive it hard, forcing everyone else to keep up with /them/.

It's a valid paradigm, but not exactly a good recipe for maintenance.

--
Tux rox!