Re: BoycottNovell.com - Authorities take official action against lies from Roy Schestowitz and shut down the site.

____/ ml2mst on Wednesday 05 December 2007 17:47 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> ____/ LENNY on Wednesday 05 December 2007 16:43 : \____
>>
>>> Seems that the "authorities" shut down the spamming liar. Too bad for Roy
>>> Schestowitz because that's his job and source of income.
>>>
>>> http://boycottnovell.com
>>
>> Sadly for you, it's just the Slashdot effect. The server was being
>> overwhelmed by too many simultaneous requests and things will be back to
>> normal soon.
>
> I thought it was defaced by the scum. Simply could not believe that
> Boycottnovell's account was *actually* suspended. There just was
> something too "fishy" about it :-p

Technically, it's correct. The site was getting links from many sites at the
same time and it brought the server to its knees. The host needed to 'isolate'
the site, so to speak. Slashdot linked to a very CPU/bandwidth-intensive page
(about 150-200KB per visitor, I'd guess and there's no caching). It's not
about bandwidth as far as I know.

The audiocast came at a very interesting time... just hours after Novell's
nightmare scenario. The SEC is on their neck and I'm beginning to think that
those massive layoffs are not just rumours. It's sad.

http://www.webwereld.nl/articles/48927/microsoft-ziek-van-actieplan-open-standaarden.html

> http://tinyurl.com/yonuy6
>
> To shorten a long story: Microsoft NL is scared to death!
>
> This topic is overloaded with comments and guess what? The vast majority
>   write: "Well I'm sick of Microsoft"!

Didn't the Dutch call for a Vista boycott (a consumers group)?

> I wanted to include some links to interesting articles I've read on
> Boycott Novell.
>
> Because of course the OOXML massacre came into the discussion again. And
> I can remember Boycott Novell holds a lot of interesting articles on the
> subject.
>
> In the meantime our "beloved" Hadron has left a joyful message about BN
> being down already. Exposing his true intentions for all to see in the
> Ubuntu NG.
>
> Keep up the good work Shane and Roy!

Well, if the conspiracy theorists think that BN.com was brought down by outside
intervention, this can only hurt Novell more. It's a purely technical thing
though, which is the result of interest, not backlash.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Life is too short to proofread"
 20:00:02 up 1 day,  2:20,  3 users,  load average: 1.14, 1.43, 1.72