[News] Overview of GNU/Linux Programs for Kids, Media Players

  • Subject: [News] Overview of GNU/Linux Programs for Kids, Media Players
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 07:35:01 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Free/Open-source Educational Software for Kids

,----[ Quote ]
| I have here a list of some of the most valuable free/open-source educational
| software applications for kids. I hope this will in some way serve as a guide
| to those who want to teach their child at home without the need for spending
| some extra money.
`----

http://junauza.blogspot.com/2007/12/freeopen-source-educational-software.html

Linux Media Player Roundup - Part 6

,----[ Quote ]
| Today we'll be bringing you Rythmbox, Songbird, Totem and one of our
| previously missed media players, Aqualung.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=345

Related:

Edubuntu - A real life experiment - Linux and a 9 year old

,----[ Quote ]
| With a Dell Celeron, 256MB Ram and basic integrated graphics, Dawn and
| I struggled with what to do for Andy'y computer. After deciding Vista
| was not an option, and that it just wasn't a good investment to throw
| $100 worth of ram into a $250 computer, we decided to look to Linux.
| Dawn and I have both been playing with Linux quite a bit lately, so
| we felt comfortable giving it a go.
|
| [...]
|
| The One Laptop Per Child initiative is great for the 3rd world
| countries. Let's see what it would take to turn all of our older
| desktops into great educational computing environments for children
| here at home.
`----

http://www.philoking.com/2006/12/04/edubuntu-a-real-life-experiment-linux-and-a-9-year-old/

You silly rabbit Linux is for kids

,----[ Quote ]
| If you own an older computer (Pentium 2 or newer) and have a few
| hours free one weekend you can build your children a great computer
| so that they can play educational games and do their school work.
| Now you can finally have your computer back.
`----

http://cyberpunkcafe.com/news.php?extend.74

Out of the mouth of babes: Linux is Better

,----[ Quote ]
| When I asked my son why he had snatched my laptop instead of using the
| family PC, he replied without hesitation: "Because Linux is better."
`----

http://reallylinux.com/docs/linuxforkids.shtml

Doing it for the kids, man: Children's laptop inspires open source projects

,----[ Quote ]
| OLPC is getting indirect benefits from Nokia's 770 Internet
| Tablet, including the long-awaited ability to add input
| devices without restarting the GUI subsystem, which Nokia
| developer Daniel Stone added for the 770.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2006/102706-childrens-laptops.html

Mandriva One Not the Linux Dinosaur of Old

,----[ Overview ]
| I found early versions of Linux weren't very user-friendly, so this
| time around, I used my 7-year-old son as my test subject. I gave him a
| little lesson on how to use Mandriva One and off he went. On his own, he
| was able to boot up the machine and get himself online to his favorite
| kid Web sites without any problems at all -- meaning today's Linux has
| a short learning curve.
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/53627.html

Doin' it for the Noob...