[News] [Rival] Quick Benchmark Confirms That Windows Vista is Heavy and Slow

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Quick Benchmark Confirms That Windows Vista is Heavy and Slow
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 07:09:44 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Vista vs XP performance: Some informal tests

,----[ Quote ]
| After posting about the inadequacy of a recent test report I thought it would
| be interesting to conduct my own informal tests of Vista vs XP performance. I
| do not run a computer laboratory, but I guess my tests have the benefit of
| being real-world.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2007/12/04/vista_vs_xp_tests/

Lies, Damned Lies and Benchmarks, Yet Again

,----[ Quote ]
| As a benchmark writer myself (I'm responsible for the WinTune and PC Pitstop
| benchmarks), I'm here to tell you that no single set of benchmarks can ever
| tell the whole story.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/stratdev/archives/2007/12/lies_damned_lie.html?source=rss

Yesterday:

Vista SP1 a Performance Dud

,----[ Quote ]
| After extensive testing of both RTM and SP1-patched versions of Windows
| Vista, it seems clear that the hoped-for performance fixes that Microsoft has
| been hinting at never materialized. Vista + SP1 is no faster than Vista from
| the RTM image.
|
| Bottom Line: If you've been disappointed with the performance of Windows
| Vista to date, get used to it. SP1 is simply not the panacea that many
| predicted. In the end, it's Vista's architecture - not a lack of tuning or
| bug fixes - that makes it perform so poorly on systems that
| were "barn-burners" under Windows XP.
`----

http://exo-blog.blogspot.com/2007/11/vista-sp1-performance-dud.html

Microsoft slammed for badmouthing benchmark

| They go on to defend the development, version independence and sophistication
| of their benchmarking software. "OfficeBench scares the hell of out
| Microsoft." they claim. "For the first time ever the industry has the tools
| necessary to call the company to the mat for its bloated, CPU cycle-sucking
| ways."
|
| "Microsoft's response? Slam the benchmark! Try to discredit the
| author/source! And crank-up the FUD machine! Sorry, guys! You can run, but
| you can't hide, from OfficeBench."
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/04/microsoft-slammed-attacking

What Intel Giveth, Microsoft Taketh Away

,----[ Quote ]
| “What Intel giveth, Microsoft taketh away.” Such has been the conventional
| wisdom surrounding the Windows/Intel (“Wintel”) duopoly since the early days
| of Windows 95. In practical terms, it means that performance advancements on
| the hardware side are quickly consumed by the ever-increasing complexity of
| the Windows/Office code base. Case in point: Microsoft Office 2007 which,
| when deployed on Windows Vista, consumes over 12x as much memory and nearly
| 3x as much processing power as the version that graced PCs just 7 short years
| ago (Office 2000).
`----

http://exo-blog.blogspot.com/2007/09/what-intel-giveth-microsoft-taketh-away.html

Windows Vista consumes 600MB of RAM with no apps running

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://vistaonamacbookpro.info/?p=108