[News] [Rival] Microsoft Slammed for Shooting the Messenger (Windows is 'Fat')

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Slammed for Shooting the Messenger (Windows is 'Fat')
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 19:57:16 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft slammed for badmouthing benchmark

| They go on to defend the development, version independence and sophistication
| of their benchmarking software. "OfficeBench scares the hell of out
| Microsoft." they claim. "For the first time ever the industry has the tools
| necessary to call the company to the mat for its bloated, CPU cycle-sucking
| ways."
|
| "Microsoft's response? Slam the benchmark! Try to discredit the
| author/source! And crank-up the FUD machine! Sorry, guys! You can run, but
you
| can't hide, from OfficeBench."
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/04/microsoft-slammed-attacking

Will they also sue the company for violating the EULA and doing a benchmark
(see below).

Related:

Vista licensing also limits benchmarking

,----[ Quote ]
| License transfers aren't the only thing the End User License Agreement
| (EULA) for Microsoft Corp.'s Windows Vista OS limits. The license
| also puts restrictions on how benchmarks of certain components of
| the OS can be published, another issue that is raising eyebrows as
| Microsoft still has not clarified how changes will specifically
| affect users.
|
| According to the Vista EULA, because the OS contains "one or more
| components" of the .Net Framework 3.0, users can conduct internal
| benchmarking of those components, but can't disclose the results
| of those benchmarks -- or measurements to compare rival products
| -- unless they comply with conditions found at a Microsoft Web
| site.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/Comp/2218/061101vistalicense/index.html

Vista SP1 Preview

,----[ Quote ]
| Word is out that Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is in Beta mode. Reviewers
| mention that it is relatively unchanged, i.e., it is still running as a giant
| piece of proprietary malware, but, that it is running a little bit faster
| (one report takes a shot at it claiming that it is almost as fast as Windows
| 98). Unfortunately, Service Pack 1 still leaves Vista designed to restrict
| what users can do with their software.
`----

http://badvista.fsf.org/blog/vista-sp1-preview

Windows Vista SP1 beta lacks 'wow'

,----[ Quote ]
| Unlike the buzz surrounding Windows XP SP2, Windows Vista SP1 won't include a
| new version of Internet Explorer, and won't include any new features that are
| considered must haves. Most of the enhancements within Windows Vista SP1 are
| under the hood and for enterprise customers. In short, Windows Vista SP1
| lacks "wow."
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9790540-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Vista SP1 a Performance Dud

,----[ Quote ]
| After extensive testing of both RTM and SP1-patched versions of Windows
| Vista, it seems clear that the hoped-for performance fixes that Microsoft has
| been hinting at never materialized. Vista + SP1 is no faster than Vista from
| the RTM image.
|
| Bottom Line: If you've been disappointed with the performance of Windows
| Vista to date, get used to it. SP1 is simply not the panacea that many
| predicted. In the end, it's Vista's architecture - not a lack of tuning or
| bug fixes - that makes it perform so poorly on systems that
| were "barn-burners" under Windows XP.
`----

http://exo-blog.blogspot.com/2007/11/vista-sp1-performance-dud.html

Critics: Vista Ultimate's promised add-ons just broken promises

,----[ Quote ]
| Trouble is, according to critics like Scott Dunn, an editor with
| the popular "Windows Secrets" newsletter, Microsoft hasn't followed
| through. Since January, when Vista was released to consumers, no new
| finished Extra have been offered to Ultimate users.
`----

http://computerworld.com.my/ShowPage.aspx?pagetype=2&articleid=5464&pubid=4&issueid=115

Windows Vista: Five Broken Promises

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm willing to put up with all those headaches, certainly more so than Jim
| Louderback. But there were several things I was really looking forward to in
| Vista that are simply missing in action or broken.
`----

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,2183521,00.asp?kc=ETRSS02129TX1K0000532

How Apple orchestrated web attack on researchers

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple is a mega corporation that nearly smashed the reputation of
| two individuals with bogus claims of fraud. It didn't matter
| that they weren't the ones pulling the trigger because they
| were pulling all the strings.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Ou/?p=451

Apple Bullies Bloggers, Again

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple has a history of using lawyers against bloggers. There was
| the now infamous Think Secret lawsuit, which may have had merit.
| But they also engage in clearly superfluous, bullying tactics as well.
|
| [...]
|
| The offending download page is here (the software has now been
| removed). Blogger Paul O'Brien simply linked to this download
| page and included a screenshot of the user interface and also
| received a cease & desist letter from Apple's lawyers.
`----

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/01/13/apple-bullies-bloggers-again/

Gates blackmailed Danish government

,----[ Quote ]