Re: [News] Linux-ready PS3 Might Gain Global Dominance

> PS3 tops Wii in Japan for first time
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Sony Corp's (6758.T) PlayStation 3 outsold Nintendo Co Ltd's (7974.OS) Wii
>| game console in Japan in November for the first time, raising the prospect
>| that Sony might regain its dominance in the global videogame market.
> `----
>
> http://in.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idINIndia-30766820071130
>
> Japan PlayStation sales beat Wii
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Boosted by price cuts and the introduction of a cheaper version, PS3 sales
>| totalled 183,217 in November, compared with 159,193 for the Wii.
> `----

> It was said a long time ago that the hackability (Linux) of the PS3 is a cause
> for concern to Microsoft.

The PS3 is turning up in all kinds of places, particularly for
supercomputing applications.  There is an interesting article today in
the BBC's technology news about someone using PS3s for cryptoanalysis
(or password cracking, as they put it!).  The article is here:

I was actively considering a PS3 for use as a desktop machine yesterday,
but in the end, I went for a more traditional model with the Intel 3D
chipset so that I could have a fully open-source machine which could do
some basic 3D stuff, but as importantly, support dual 1440x900 monitors!