Re: [News] Dell: Linux currently growing faster then Windows

____/ ml2mst on Tuesday 04 December 2007 03:44 : \____

> Google Translation:
>
> The competition between Linux and Windows is a known fact. What is new
> is that Microsoft partner Dell now says that Linux is growing stronger
> than Windows, in the area of servers. Also declares that Dell Linux on
> the desktop to the expectation.
>
> Dell CEO Michael Dell says that Linux on the server is doing well. "On
> the server side Linux continues to grow well, even slightly faster than
> Windows," said Dell at the ITxpo meeting in Orlando (Florida) by
> researcher Gartner.
>
> "We see a movement towards Linux for business critical applications, and
> the Linux migration not lose momentum." That he implicitly referred to
> the patentenclaims that Microsoft claims to have technology in Linux.
> Dell says that there are protective mechanisms for customers who are
> worried about patents. He said, however, no concrete promises for
> protection ( 'indemnification') against legal claims.
>
> Meanwhile, the PC manufacturer also mentions his experiences with
> desktopdistributie Ubuntu, four months after the announcement.
> Linux-manager John Hull Dell said that it expected to do.
>
> We had originally estimated sales of 1 percent of our total PC sales, or
> 20,000 systems per year. The Ubuntu program complies so far short of
> expectations.
>
> Hull says we earned a lot of attention from the open-source community
> for preinstalled Ubuntu. "While we have more than eight years Linux. But
> many people where not aware of that. So it was difficult for companies
> to get so far that they support Linux.
>
> Original (Dutch) article:

http://www.datanews.be/nl/news/90-6-14877/dell-ziet-linux-sterker-groeien-dan-windows.html

They said this several months ago as well. According to figure of shipped units
alone (bear in mind that Windows servers are bought, whereas many Linux
servers are built independents), Linux grows at a pace of about 34% per
quarter, depending on who /funds/ the 'study' (usually Microsoft).

Bear in mind that when troll lash out at such figure, it's a sign of
acknowledgement and fear. Earlier today, an analyst agreed that Linux will
gain 50% of the enterprise market within a "few years". This aligns with Red
Hat's expectations.

__

Server sales turn vendors into very happy bunnies

,----[ Quote ]
| X86 server sales generated 50 per cent of factory revenue for the first time,
| growing 16 per cent year on year. Sales of Windows servers grew by 14 per
| cent annually but Linux revs were up 34 per cent.

Red Hat profit rises on 42 percent revenue hike

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat distributes open source Linux software and charges
| companies a subscription to provide updates and other technical support.
`----

http://open.itworld.com/5033/070627red/page_1.html

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: mint and self-contained 'out of the box'
 07:00:02 up 34 days, 10:58,  3 users,  load average: 2.29, 3.16, 2.68