[News] Reasons to Use Linux, GNU/Linux Claims 'Victory' over iPod

  • Subject: [News] Reasons to Use Linux, GNU/Linux Claims 'Victory' over iPod
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 02:05:36 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Why do I use Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| I get asked from time to time why do I use Linux. Of course, people use Linux
| for many different reasons since people’s priorities vary so much. After
| thinking about it a little, I would say these are my personal reason for
| using Linux.
|
| 1.- The Open Source Trend.
|
| [...]
|
| 2.- Control.
|
| [...]
|
| 3.- I find Linux much more robust, secure, and enjoyable than Windows
|
| [...]
|
| 4.- Price.
|
| [...]
|
| 5.- Features.
`----

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/2007/12/03/why-do-i-use-linux/

Another case of Linux beating its oppressor...

Linux vs. iPod 1-0

,----[ Quote ]
| To be honest, I cared up to yesterday, now I can live without it. Sorry
| Apple, a missed opportunity.
`----

http://www.jroller.com/neugens/entry/linux_vs_ipod_1_0

Related:

Liberating iPods in Cambridge

,----[ Quote ]
| During the event, dubbed iRony, users were walked through the
| process of installing flexible and featureful free/open source
| software firmware -- without DRM -- onto their digital audio players.
|
| [...]
|
| Organizers set up laptops running Ubuntu GNU/Linux, Mac OS X,
| and Windows XP at the center of the room. iPod users brought
| their players to experienced users, who would determine the
| generation of the iPod and the current partition format, and
| inquire about the user's needs. Together they would decide on
| a firmware (RockBox, iPodLinux, or both) and walk through the
| process of installation. Meanwhile, others looked on to watch
| the process and learn how it was done. RockBox was installed
| on the majority of the iPods with great success.
`----

http://business.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/10/31/2146245&from=rss

iTop

,----[ Quote ]
| Now I call it a laptop, and it technically is.  It is able to run a
| full OS (Linux).  And has full UIs.
`----

http://web.mac.com/owenmcgarry/iWeb/Downloads/Downloads/10E5A5E6-7AE6-4BFD-B454-11CBC427A9A1.html
http://tinyurl.com/yw3bh2

5.5g iPods can now run Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux on iPod developer blog says the 5.5g iPods can now run Linux
`----

http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2007/03/55g_ipods_can_now_run_lin.html

iPod Classic Will Be Supported

,----[ Quote ]