[News] New Linux Guides in Linux Gazette; "Vista Is For Dummies" Released

  • Subject: [News] New Linux Guides in Linux Gazette; "Vista Is For Dummies" Released
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 21:47:09 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
December 2007 (#145)

,----[ Quote ]
| # New Use for Old Hardware: Network RAID Backup, by Edgar Howell
| # Linux on an ARM based Single Board Computer, by Maxin B. John
| # Generating Postscript graphs using PyX, by Maxin B. John
| # Review: User Interface Design for Mere Mortals, by Kat Tanaka Okopnik
| # HelpDex, by Shane Collinge
`----

http://linuxgazette.net/145/index.html

[Sarcasm] 'Vista Is For Dummies' Lands on Retail Shelves

,----[ Quote ]
| The long awaited "Vista Is For Dummies" book has hit retail shelves with
| resounding enthusiasm from consumers. A perfectly timed book created to help
| frustrated Windows Vista users break free from their latest Microsoft
| nightmare. The book highlights in full color illustration why the world was
| not ready for Vista and provides a lengthy, complicated dummies guide for
| downgrading to Windows XP. But wait! There's more!
`----

http://www.iphonesavior.com/2007/12/vista-is-for-du.html

Related:

Lenovo offers downgrade from Windows Vista to Windows XP

,----[ Quote ]
| My colleague Stian just sent me this interesting link regarding my
| experiences with Windows Vista. Since I assume the link will NOT have the
| visual appearence it has right now for very many more hours (days) I've
| created a screenshot of how it looked when I went into the site.
`----

http://jaxed.org/lenovo-offers-downgrade-from-windows-vista-to-windows-xp.blog

Dell casts doubts on Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell today revealed that it will restore the option to use Windows XP on
| some of its home systems, marking a potentially damaging blow to
| Microsoft's hopes for the newer Windows Vista.
|
| [...]
|
| While a popular request through the company's IdeaStorm website, the
| choice was substantially outnumbered by requests for pre-installed
| Linux, US-based technical support, and other features -- pointing to a
| larger general demand for the change. The turnaround may be a reflection of
| an overall backlash against Vista, observed IDC analyst Richard Shim.
`----

http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/04/19/dell.casts.doubts.on.vista/

Windows Vista kicked out of Olympics PCs

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/08/08/no.vista.on.olympic.pcs/

| Financial Times Deutschland on Monday.