[News] Two New Releases of GNU/Linux Distributions Over the Weekend

  • Subject: [News] Two New Releases of GNU/Linux Distributions Over the Weekend
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 21:33:58 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Ubuntu Muslim Edition 7.10 final version released

,----[ Quote ]
| The Ubuntu Muslim Edition team is proud to announce the final version of
| UbuntuME 7.10. This version has exactly the same features as the 7.04 version
| but is built on Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon).
`----

http://www.ubuntume.com/newspage:710release

New Version of IPCOP (Linux distro) just released:

http://www.ipcop.org/

Yesterday:

Linux distro or network traffic cop? It's both!

,----[ Quote ]
| The bottom line is that IPCop is a mature, robust, sophisticated, and
| well-polished security distribution. It's also well supported. The
| installation and administration documentation is excellent, and I've found
| the #IPCop IRC channel on freenode.net to be a friendly, helpful place to ask
| questions of other IPCop users.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/121613

Related:

Welcome to UbuntuME!

,----[ Quote ]
| UbuntuME stands for Ubuntu Muslim Edition. Ubuntu Muslim Edition is
| a free, open source operating system  based on the popular Ubuntu Linux.
`----

http://ubuntume.com/index.php

Why Having 500+ Distros is a Good Thing

,----[ Quote ]
| Perhaps next time the author might think about what they're
| saying...because limiting the number of distros out there is
| absolutely NOT the way to go to accomplish anything other
| than limiting innovation.
`----

http://linux-blog.org/index.php?/archives/186-Why-Having-500+-Distros-is-a-Good-Thing.html

Too many free operating systems? I don't think so.

,----[ Quote ]
| And people say there is too much choice?? It pretty much comes down to
| basically only 3 ways. Choose one and you're already going to be making
| significant compromises.
|
| No. The killer distro hasn't arrived yet. Not for me. Until it does, I will
| be on the look out for more choice, not less.
`----

http://www.nuxified.org/blog/too_many_free_operating_systems_i_dont_think_so

The distro jungle

,----[ Quote ]
| People who are new to Linux are often confused by the large number of
| distributions to choose from. The good news is that you can safely ignore
| most of them. This article helps you choose a distribution for getting
| started with your Linux exploration—and helps you understand just what
| it is you've just chosen.
`----

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-linux-distros/?S_TACT=105AGX59&S_CMP=GR&ca=dgr-btw01distrojungle

359 Choices

,----[ Quote ]
| I would also strongly dispute the notion that IT managers would be daunted by
| these many distros. No offense, but any IT manager worth their salt is not
| just going to visit Distrowatch to find their first Linux distribution
| deployment. They're going to research other sources, talk to peers, and very
| likely contact the larger commercially oriented distribution companies. So
| again, tossing out the Big! Scary! 359! Distros! number is really just
| that--a scare tactic.
`----

http://www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2007-07-20-028-26-OP-SW

Tech media doesn’t get open source