[News] Releases: Wine 0.9.50, Foresight Linux 1.4.2, GIMP 2.4.0 Manual

  • Subject: [News] Releases: Wine 0.9.50, Foresight Linux 1.4.2, GIMP 2.4.0 Manual
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 16:07:23 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Wine 0.9.50 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| This is release 0.9.50 of Wine, a free implementation of Windows on Unix.
|
| What's new in this release:
|   - Completed I/O completion.
|   - Improved user credentials management, including Mac Keychain support.
|   - More Valgrinding.
|   - Lots of bug fixes.
`----

http://winehq.org/?announce=0.9.50

Foresight Linux 1.4.2 Released

http://www.foresightlinux.com/

GIMP User Manual 2.4.0 Released2007-11-30

,----[ Quote]
| After four months of hard work we are proud to announce another release of
| the user manual.
`----

http://www.gimp.org/

Related:

Does WINE + Linux support more Windows apps than Vista?

,----[ Quote ]
| WINE supports most of the applications which are made for Windows
| 2.0 up to Windows XP. WINE has the ability to run different versions
| of IE, run most of Adobe's products, run World of Warcraft, Half Life
| 2, Microsoft Office 2003, XP, 2000 and 97, Visio, Quicken,
|
|     * Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars
|     * Need for Speed Carbon
|
| [...]
|
| What about drivers, hardware support, and upgrades?
|
| Want to upgrade you XP to Vista? no chance. might as well do a fresh
| install and shell out $300.
`----

http://jagtalon.wordpress.com/2007/04/30/does-wine-linux-support-more-apps-than-vista/

GIMP 2.4.0 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| GIMP 2.4.0 is so new that their website hasn't been updated yet, but if you
| check out the GIMP FTP it is available for download as of October 23.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjE0OQ

Web designing with Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| As a freelance web designer, I really thought migrating to Ubuntu Linux will
| give me a really hard time. I never thought that Ubuntu Linux has a very good
| graphic design tool that can do what I am doing with Photoshop. Although Gimp
| is still way too different with Photoshop, I still see Gimp as a very
| powerful tool in graphic and web designing. It also possess features that
| Photoshop has.
`----

http://pinoy-blog.isoftinno.com/2007/10/23/web-designing-with-ubuntu/

GIMP tricks: Snooker ball as a pseudo 3d object

,----[ Quote ]
| I don’t really remeber when and where, but once I have read that GIMP isn’t
| suitable for pseudo 3D graphics. Nothing more fallible! I will try to prove
| it wrong.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/apps/graphics/gimp-tricks-snooker-ball-as-a-pseudo-3d-object/

GIMP 2.4.0 Comes Closer To Release

,----[ Quote ]
| GIMP 2.4.0 is coming soon and as a sign of that, the third release candidate
| for GIMP 2.4.0 is now available.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjA3NQ

GIMP UI brainstorm

,----[ Quote ]
| This is a visual brainstorm, the channel for everybody to contribute to the
| GIMP UI redesign process. It is moderated by the GIMP UI redesign team. We do
| not post mock-ups here ourselves, we ‘listen’ to what you show us and broaden
| our horizons.
`----

http://gimp-brainstorm.blogspot.com/

Gimp 2.3 (preview of 2.4)

,----[ Quote ]
| The major change for this release seems to be a big usability
| overhaul. New defaults are now in place that make the Gimp look
| a little bit like Photoshop, but still has many features that
| make it unique.
`----

http://fosswire.com/2007/06/08/gimp-23-preview-of-24/

Foresight Linux 2.0 Alpha 1

,----[ Quote ]
| With its lime green theme, the appearance of Foresight 2.0 Alpha 1 is
| certainly distinct from most other desktop Linux distributions. However, it's
| color theme is not all that's unique about this new development release.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=913&num=1

Foresight Linux 1.4 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Foresight is really great for seeing the latest gnome; one can show off the
| bleeding edge desktop. Foresight also has a great out of box experience.
| Foresight is having a great theme and is quite user friendly. I would
| recommend it to every one, coming to me, asking for which Linux to start
| with.
`----

http://simplyjat.blogspot.com/2007/09/foresight-linux-14-review.html

Foresight Linux Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Foresight Linux is a relatively new distribution based on rPath Linux and
| featuring the latest Gnome and freedesktop.org desktop. This review of
| Foresight's latest version, 1.4, will attempt to show the strengths of this
| distro and why not, give you a reason to try it next time you go distro
| hopping!
`----

http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/215/104/

Foresight LiveCD GNOME 2.17.92

,----[ Quote ]
| Today marks the release of GNOME 2.18.0, and to commemorate today's
| release we have posted some screenshots from the Foresight LiveCD
| 2.17.92 GNOME Release Candidate, which is designed to be a demo
| GNOME LiveCD. This is also Foresight's first attempt at creating
| a bootable CD image.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=663&num=1

Foresight Linux (Review)

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm really impressed - as a long time Ubuntu user, this is the first
| distro that really makes me consider switching.
`----

http://www.silwenae.org/blog/?p=675

Review: Foresight Linux 1.0

,----[ Quote ]