Re: [BREAKING NEWS] OLPC sued by US based Nigerian company!

flatfish wrote:
Tim Smith wrote:
High Plains Thumper wrote:
flatfish wrote:

Ask Roy Schestowitz about using graphics without an author's permission and then continuing to use said graphics even after being notified.

It took a cease and desist order to get Roy Schestowitz to remove the copyrighted graphics from his web page.

It's all in google.

Correct, it is all in Google, another trumped up charge that has little to do with advocacy.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/5c4fb6d75517c9f7?

[Usual gob of irrelevancy HPT always posts deleted]

[Tim Smith's usual selective troll snippage reinstated]

Correct, it is all in Google, another trumped up charge
that has little to do with advocacy.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/5c4fb6d75517c9f7?

[quote]
A casual browse of his website shows mostly text with very
little graphics.  What limited graphics exist appear
generic and iconish.

<SNIP>

IMHO, Fare Use clause in British copyright law allows the
use of an image downloaded from the internet for personal
use and research, provided credit is given to the
owner/author.  Being a graduate student, Mr. Schestowitz
is a researcher.

Did Mr. Schestowitz defame the author?  I think not.

Did he stretch the Fare Use clause in British copyright
law by posting this only image on the net?  Perhaps.

However, would the American author consider it worthwhile
to go after a college student, seeking compensation on
British soil for a personal non-profit blog site with
limited content and low volume hits?  That would be
ridiculous.
[/quote]

Of course, that has nothing to do with what Flatfish is talking about, and you know that. Flatfish is talking about
the incident where Roy took the work of a commercial
artist, who sells licenses for the use of that work on the
net, and decided that if he (Roy) gave credit to the artist,
he didn't need to get a license, even though Roy was using
it in a way not covered by fair use, and in a way to
diminish the market for the work.  The incident where, when
informed that what he was doing was wrong, Roy did not do
the right thing (which 99% of us here would have done) and
immediately take down the image until he could contact the
artist and work something out--instead he kept the image up
for weeks, before finally obeying the law and the artists
requests, and took it down.

Here we go again, the same old, tired rants, non-Linux advocacy stuff being hounded on non-COLA issues 17 months later. You have a way of making a mountain out of a mole hill, don't you, Timmy?

Oh, but Roy uses Linux, so you HAVE to support him, even when he is ripping off an artist, don't you? That's what you think Linux advocacy means.

Exactly! Thank you Tim.

I'm convinced that people like HPT will lie tooth and nail just to back up Linux and the so called Linux supporters, like
Roy and Mark.

Hmmm, interesting anti-Linux advocacy agenda. The same accusations. Calling those that post unfavourably liars. Very rude, very inappropriate. I found this quote of great interest made July 23, 2006, still appropriate:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/0ec63927eb89dbed?

[quote]
My approach to this has changed a lot over the years. I used to offer the benefit of the doubt to posters who looked new or I didn't know, but over time, I've seen so many troll posts, that I just tend to plonk on sight, sometimes with a short (1 liner) warning to the rest of the group. I think I just lack the patience...

The whole experience of being in cola has been very interesting, as it has 100% confirmed that there is a class or group of people, like Erik F, Tim Smith, Flatty/Gary, Grug, k-man and so on who will take a great and deliberate delight from off-topic posting, and will follow any possible argument they can to support what they do. There is nothing anyone can say to them which is going to move them from their positions - they are only here to disrupt, and that is what they will do. I've speculated many times on the kind of personality it must take to do that; and the impact on the person over a long period. I suspect it's quite nasty. I wonder if they'll ever recover?
[/quote]

All of these people make all kinds of accusations yet they never seem to provide any proof and when a person asks for proof they even make fun of that request by brushing it off.

I've asked a simple question. Prove I am Gary Stewart. I've offered to contribute to a charity of the person's choice. People keep making the accusation, stating it like it is fact yet they can't seem to prove it. And if they can't even prove I am one person, how on earth can they prove I am all the people in that ridiculous list?

I am a couple of them BTW, only because I've changed ISP's several times over the years. And they can't even prove those ones without help from me.

Frankly this group has become a total fraud. A maniac spammer who is a liar and thief as well who has a couple of wannabes hanging around him. That's about the size of it.

Your rant has nothing to do with Linux advocacy.  Reference:

[quote]
1.4 The Charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy

   The charter of comp.os.linux.advocacy is:

For discussion of the benefits of Linux compared to other operating systems.

That single sentence is the one and only charter of the newsgroup comp.os.linux.advocacy. The newsgroup's charter is for the newsgroup as a place for supporters of Linux to gather to discuss Linux, for the betterment of the Linux community and the promotion and development of Linux. It supports this as a place for those who would like to learn more about Linux to come to learn from those who know Linux. It does not call for it to be a place where the anti-Linux propagandists to gather in order to discredit Linux.
[/quote]

Please take your off-charter rants to another forum, to which they belong.

--
HPT