[News] Fortune Says Larry Ellison Loves Linux

  • Subject: [News] Fortune Says Larry Ellison Loves Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 22:02:25 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Why Larry loves Linux (and he’s not alone)

,----[ Quote ]
| How? Last quarter, the business software giant pointed out that its database
| market share actually tends to improve when customers move to Linux, which
| has been a fast-growing server operating system for much of the decade. And
| Oracle is poised to capitalize on open-source trends in other ways. For
| instance, the company distributes Linux for free, and makes money by offering
| support.
|
| So far so good: earlier this year CEO Larry Ellison reported that Oracle is
| in the early stages of selling high-margin Linux support contracts, some for
| as much as $500,000 a pop. Ellison claims the open-source strategy is also
| helping to lure database business away from competitors. “We’re just taking
| share right away from IBM on mainframes and we’re taking share away from
| Microsoft using Linux,” he told analysts in September.
| More from Big Tech
|
| The Linux love-fest doesn’t stop with Oracle.
`----

http://bigtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2007/12/19/why-larry-loves-linux-and-hes-not-alone/

So even a CEO that breaks the law loves Linux (because of money, not freedom).
Great.

Related:

Oracle 11g: First on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The newest database will ship in August, but Oracle offers no details on
| Windows or other versions.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,134381-c,databases/article.html

Oracle 11g ships first on Linux, not Microsoft Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Forrester, Oracle's share of the DBMS market has declined to the
| point where the platform has become less strategic to Oracle, Yuhanna said.
|
| "Oracle is already betting on Linux to succeed by putting strong R&D and
| marketing efforts around it," Yuhanna said. "Simply put, if Linux grows,
| Oracle grows."
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1268047,00.html
http://tinyurl.com/3ypqxv

Oracle opens up latest Linux enhancements

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle Corp. is busy at LinuxWorld, Wednesday opening up its latest work with
| the Linux community to improve the enterprise capabilities of the open-source
| operating system.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/080807-linuxworld-oracle-opens-up-latest.html

Oracle claims no Linux ulterior motive

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle is using LinuxWorld to try and calm concerns its Enterprise Linux and
| Unbreakable Linux Network (ULN) will fork Red Hat and fragment the Linux
| market.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/08/08/oracle_uln_red_hat/

Is Unbreakable a long-term Linux play?