[News] Big Media (MPAA) Messes About with Source of GNU/Linux Downloads

  • Subject: [News] Big Media (MPAA) Messes About with Source of GNU/Linux Downloads
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 05:02:17 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
MPAA wins copyright case against TorrentSpy

,----[ Quote ]
| Cooper, in a ruling made public Monday, agreed with the MPAA that defendants
| Justin Bunnell, Forrest Parker, Wes Parker and Valence Media had destroyed
| evidence after another judge had ordered them to keep server logs, user IP
| (Internet Protocol) addresses and other information. TorrentSpy billed itself
| as a central location to find files distributed on BitTorrent P-to-P
| (peer-to-peer) networks.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20071218/tc_infoworld/94111

Related:

BitTorrent Admin Monitored by US Government, Forced to Dump Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Sk0t, an ex-administrator of the EliteTorrents BitTorrent tracker is to have
| his internet connection forcibly monitored by the US Government. If that
| wasn’t bad enough, the monitoring software is Windows based - which means he
| is being forced to ditch Linux - or face being barred from the internet.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-admin-monitored-by-us-government-forced-to-dump-linux/

Senators want probe of Comcast's BitTorrent 'discrimination'

,----[ Quote ]
| The senators suggested the incidents indicate "Congress should consider
| adopting targeted regulations to protect consumers and ensure a vibrant and
| open communications platform."
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9805308-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Congressman to Comcast: Stop interfering with BitTorrent

,----[ Quote ]
| While a class action lawsuit is definitely one way to get Comcast to behave,
| another perhaps more productive way to do so is to have politicians step in
| and regulate.
|
| On Tuesday, I discussed the issue of Comcast's anti-BitTorrent "network
| management" with Rep. Rick Boucher, D-Va., who is a strong supporter of
| consumer rights and has led the battle to undo the damage caused by the
| Digital Millennium Copyright Act, or DMCA.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9804158-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Torrentspy Disables Searching For US IPs

`----

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/27/1541244&from=rss