[News] Lots of Open Source News (Indication of Growth and Popularity)

  • Subject: [News] Lots of Open Source News (Indication of Growth and Popularity)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 23:10:28 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
ETAI avoids data traffic jam with open source

,----[ Quote ]
| With 50,000 models and a million auto parts to keep cataloged on a constant
| basis, ETAI's old homegrown, stovepiped internal database system just wasn't
| running on all cylinders.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1428738328&rid=-50

ReyesSoft's OpenEDA Toolkit 1.0 Brings Affordable Open Source Software to
UNIX-based Operating Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| Those in the electronic design automation (EDA) world know that to use the
| Open Source software they need on the UNIX systems they prefer, they have two
| programming development - until now.
`----

http://webcast.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=258586

Open source Hyperic offers an alternative for VM management

,----[ Quote ]
| Project supports deep monitoring for VMware environments
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/reviews/2007/121707-virtual-management-hyperic.htm

Open source ERP: the next big thing?

,----[ Quote ]
| 2008 could be a very good year for the likes of Compiere and Openbravo if 451
| CAOS Theory’s blog stats for this year are anything to go by.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2007/12/18/open-source-erp-the-next-big-thing/

[Not exactly open source, but close] OpenDNS provides added safety for free

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenDNS is a free online service that offers an extra layer of safety on the
| Internet. Technically, the service is DNS resolution, which I'll explain
| below. The main defensive computing advantage it provides is protection from
| bad Web sites, most importantly from phishing scams. ID theft is, to me at
| least, the worst thing that can happen to a computer user, so any extra
| protection helps. You also get some flexibility in deciding which other types
| of Web sites should be restricted.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13554_1-9834579-33.html

Open Source Pros Pick their Favorite Projects

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/entdev/article.php/3717066