[News] Linux Kernel Development Improved, New Ideas Raised

  • Subject: [News] Linux Kernel Development Improved, New Ideas Raised
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 08:02:42 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Collecting Kernel Oops Data

,----[ Quote ]
| Feedback was positive. Andrew Morton commented, "well that would have been
| fun to write." Steven Richter expressed some concern about the tool counting
| the same bug report duplicate times when found in different places. Arjan
| aggreed, "
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Collecting_Kernel_Oops_Data

Is distributed source control always the right answer?

,----[ Quote ]
| I just finished reading this piece of a conversation with Linus Torvalds
| regarding Git, and I remain unconvinced that going distributed would be the
| best thing for us. And I’m guessing that maybe most small teams of “closed”
| development probably don’t need a distributed source control system, either.
| It seems that the problems that have spawned this new model of source control
| is more of a problem for open source development, particularly of larger
| projects, and less of a problem for smaller proprietary development.
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2007/12/is_distributed_source_control.html

Related:

40 feet of kernel developers

,----[ Quote ]
| OveQuoter 40 feet long, hopefully I can find a wall that long for people to
| be able to look at the thing...
|
| I also uploaded the PDF files if others want to try their hand at printing
| this monstrosity out.
`----

http://www.kroah.com/log/diary

Linux: Poetry in Documentation

,----[ Quote ]
| Andrew Morton noted that he would consider the documentation patches for
| inclusion in the 2.6.23 kernel, to which Rusty replied, "indeed, no code
| changes, and I feel strongly that it should go into 2.6.23 because it's
| *fun*. And (as often complained) there's not enough poetry in the kernel."
| Linus Torvalds quipped, "there's a reason for that," going on to
| rhyme, "there once was a lad from Braidwood, with a wife and a hatred for
| FUD, he hacked kernels for fun, couldn't get them to run, but he always felt
| that he should." He added,
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/node/13992

Linux contributor base broadens