[News] GNU/Linux Will Do the Weather in Germany

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Will Do the Weather in Germany
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 12:31:38 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
German Climate Computing Centre invests in new super computer

,----[ Quote ]
| The new computer uses IBM Power6 processors and is to achieve a maximum
| performance of 140 TFlop/s.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/100672/from/rss09

Related:

BOM goes shopping for two supercomputers

,----[ Quote ]
| Specifically, compatibility with POSIX and the Linux Standards Base is also a
| requirement.
|
| Additionally, the batch job service needs to accept job requests from remote
| batch queues on HP-UX, AIX, and Linux-based systems.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1803465154&rid=-50

Blue Skies for Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Chief Technology Officer Dan Agronow doesn’t say whether his staff broke a
| bottle of bubbly over the new MySQL app server that replaced an Oracle
| system, but you can tell he’s happy.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=software&articleId=305118&taxonomyId=18&intsrc=kc_feat

OSS is a clear winner at The Weather Channel

,----[ Quote ]
| TWC is continuously moving more toward open source software, Shield
| says. "We continue to look at new ways to manage our infrastructure,
| and more effectively optimize monitoring of key systems storage solutions,
| and we've been looking at some security and network tools as well. We
| pretty much have moved to open source predominantly for all our systems,
| though we are Microsoft in some areas."
|
| Shield says that if CIOs are not considering open source, "they're
| doing their company a disservice. I continue to be surprised when
| large companies don't take more full advantage of the benefits that
| open source products can offer. It doesn't require someone to
| transition the entire organization, but take a look at the total
| cost of ownership and use where appropriate. I frequently hear
| companies claim that the TCO figures for open source are exaggerated.
| I totally disagree. You hear about the learning curve. Frankly, for
| us, we see open source as a competitive advantage. Not only does it
| provide TCO benefits, but it is an incentive for our internal
| resources because they get the opportunity to work on leading
| edge technology."
`----

http://www.itmanagersjournal.com/feature/21464

Linux reports the weather to truckers, travellers

,----[ Quote ]
| A company specializing in weather reporting has used Linux to build
| an inexpensive digital sign capable of delivering custom weather
| channels to truckstops, private airports, marinas, and golf courses.

Linux is the road to success

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux is the way of the future and we need to accept it.  Linux runs all of
| the big atmospheric computer models, it is so much easier and cheaper to run
| multiple processors on.  It runs the bigger programs and databases better and
| faster, and the best reason for me to learn it is: if I want a better job I
| need to know how to use it.
`----

http://www.upperweather.com/bblog/archives/22

Linux in more than 90% of top supercomputers

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2007/11/15/linux-in-more-than-90-of-top-supercomputers/
http://tinyurl.com/2rponk