Re: Fed up with MS; ready to take take the linux plunge

Dr H wrote:

<snip>

>  So... I've downloaded XUbuntu (why does that sound like the name of
>  an aboriginal sub-Saharan tribe to me?)

Because it's a southern Bantu word (from Zulu or Xhosa) both spoken in South
Africa meaning something like "humanity to others."

>  I went to get Debian, but it was not immediately clear how many of
>  the files I needed to download for a basic installation (are there
>  really something like 26 CDs required??  Even on a fast cable
>  connection that might could take a while to DL...).

If you have a broadband connection you can just do a net install which means
you only need to burn 1 CD and get the remaining stuff off the net.
You can find out about it here:
http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst
Cheers,
Att