Re: [News] Call to Remove Mono/.NET/Patent Mess from Ubuntu GNU/Linux

____/ Linonut on Friday 14 December 2007 15:42 : \____

> * Tom Shelton fired off this tart reply:
>
>> On 2007-12-14, [H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:

>>> Other than the fact that .NET is utterly superfluous, supports part of
>>> Microsoft's quest for continued domination, poisons the Free Software
>>> community with Microsoft's broken development paradigm, dilutes Free
>>> Software development resources by encouraging developers to waste time
>>> bug-fixing Windows clients, divides the Free Software community into
>>> partisan groups who waste time arguing about patents rather than
>>> working, diverts development away from Java (just as it was designed to
>>> do, as a slap in the face to Sun for their MS litigation, and a means of
>>> "controlling" virtual machine technology, discouraging fully compatible
>>> cross-platform development), and may (at some time in the future) help
>>> to support Microsoft's claims of "IP infringement" in GNU/Linux (since
>>> not *all* parties who develop with Mono can know *exactly* what is or is
>>> not covered by the ECMA RAND "guarantee" - such as it is).
>>>
>>> But apart from that it's fine.
>>
>> Any part that is defined in the ECMA standard is covered by the RAND
>> "guarentee".  Anything that isn't defined in the standard isn't...
>
> Is that kind of like the ISO "guarantee"?
>
> I wouldn't trust Microsoft at /all/, without an ironclad contract.  And
> I wouldn't necessarily trust my lawyers to negotiate one for me.

They could sue box proxy. Same scenario with OOXML, as highlighted just a few
days ago.

In a perfect world, all high-velocity impacts make fine orange juice
roy      pts/2        cg093a.halls.man Fri Dec 14 12:12 - 19:47  (07:34)