Re: Netherlands adopts open-source software

____/ Jim Relsh on Friday 14 December 2007 08:42 : \____

>> ____/ NoStop on Friday 14 December 2007 02:51 : \____
>>
>>> December 13, 2007 at 1:52 PM EST
>>>
>>> AMSTERDAM - The Dutch government has set a soft deadline of April 2008
>>> for
>>> its agencies to start using open-source software - freely distributed
>>> programs that anyone can modify - the Netherlands Economic Affairs
>>> Ministry
>>> said Thursday.
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/3ae3ey
>>>

> I personally believe this isn't groundbreaking stuff. First off all, the
> civil servants would be able to wiggle their way out of it by simply using
> the OOXML-to-ODF converter. In fact, this policy could even jump-start sales
> of Office 2007 since the converter only works in Office 2007!
>
> I'd be much more impressed if the Dutch government mandates that all
> desktops switch over to Linux, maybe running some Windows program in a
> virtual machine for the time being. That would *really* be earth-shattering
> news. So far there are very few mass-migrations in Western nations to Linux,
> and that's disappointing.

What about the French and Italian government moving to Linux on the desktop and
the server (to give just a couple of recent examples)?

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Have you compiled your kernel today?"