Re: 4 Gb

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 13 Dec 2007 23:14:31 +0000
<1927894.P7KV05bpGk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> ____/ 7 on Thursday 13 December 2007 16:45 : \____
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> ____/ Linonut on Thursday 13 December 2007 14:06 : \____

>>> Pass some over. I'm still on 256 MB over here, with KDE 4 alpha at times.
>>> Can this thing run Vista, let alone have it installed?
>>

>> Its becoming dirt cheap - about 60 pounds for 4Gb.
>
> Yes, but who needs so much memory? Maybe I should say: /what/ needs so much
> memory?

Java and Eclipse can absorb as much memory as one cares
to throw at them. :-)  This is not to say they're bloated,
of course; I am hopeful, though, that at some point someone
can say

java -Xms256m -Xmx8192m ...

and then java will reserve 256 megabytes for itself
initially, then take as much as it needs, and, more
importantly, release the bits it doesn't need back to the
OS as it garbage-collects and determines it really didn't
need all that virtual space after all.  (There might be
some issues with that as far as internal virtual space
fragmentation is concerned; outside the app, it's just
dumping pages back into the pool, which might lead to a
somewhat scattered page file usage bitmap but that's about
it, unless the page file is extended by the OS somehow,
and Linux doesn't do that, unlike Windows.)

To be sure, this isn't specific to Linux, but Java is
popular in FLOSS solutions (though Java's not quite as
open as, say, Python or PHP).

Certain games also tend to take huge amounts of space,
to store textures and such, plus the map descriptors and
actor code.

In any event, the new 32-bit architecture can support 64
GB of RAM, as I understand it, using a paging mechanism
I'm not familiar with; the 64-bit should be able to handle
petabytes or even more.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows.  Multi-platform(1), multi-tasking(1), multi-user(1).
(1) if one defines "multi" as "exactly one".