[News] Nokia's Latest Linux-based Internet Tablet Reviewed

  • Subject: [News] Nokia's Latest Linux-based Internet Tablet Reviewed
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 22:42:00 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Hands-On: Nokia's N810 Linux Powered Internet Tablet

,----[ Quote ]
| The Nokia N810 is the third product in the Internet Tablet lineup from the
| Finnish handset manufacturer. Featuring a large 4.1" touchscreen with 800x480
| pixel resolution and based on Maemo, a Linux based user interface, Nokia's
| Internet Tablets are slowly progressing from a geek toy to a consumer device.
`----

http://www.mobileburn.com/gallery.jsp?Id=3908&source=HOME

Recent:

Nokia to W3C: Ogg is proprietary, we need DRM on the Web

,----[ Quote ]
| But remember, that's not what Nokia is objecting to: they are arguing that
| Ogg is proprietary (it isn't) and that DRM should be part of a Web standard
| (it shouldn't).
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2007/12/09/nokia-to-w3c-ogg-is.html

Removal of Ogg Vorbis and Theora from HTML5: an outrageous disaster

,----[ Quote ]
| Note that HTML5 in no way required Ogg (as denoted by the word “should”
| instead of “must” in the earlier draft). Adding this to the fact that there
| are widely available patent-free implementations of Ogg technology, there is
| really no excuse for Apple and Nokia to say that they couldn’t in good faith
| implement HTML5 as previously formulated. Throw your own theory here: DRM,
| proprietary control, et cetera.
`----

http://rudd-o.com/archives/2007/12/11/removal-of-ogg-vorbis-and-theora-from-html5-an-outrageous-disaster/
http://tinyurl.com/yp5zm6

Is Nokia Looking for Revenue in the Wrong Places?

,----[ Quote ]
| He proposed that iPod and iTunes was an exception, and would be eclipsed by a
| Nokia/Microsoft (MSFT) partnership in short order.
|
| [...]
|
| That conversation echoes the one that nearly every music player manufacturer
| on the planet has had to date. And Microsoft's DRM and poor business
| decisions has managed to undermine the business of every single one of them,
| especially now that Microsoft's Zune competes with them and yet isn't
| compatible with Microsoft's own PlaysForSure music software.
`----

http://seekingalpha.com/article/56822-is-nokia-looking-for-revenue-in-the-wrong-places?source=yahoo

Related:

Nokia N810 review

,----[ Quote ]
| Like the N800, the N810 delivers one of the best experiences in mobile web
| browsing on the market. The new browser that ships with OS2008 is truly
| outstanding, and most of the rest of OS2008 is pretty darn impressive too.
| For Linux enthusiasts as well as regular users, Nokia's Maemo-based software
| platform offers power, flexibility, and ease of use.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/nokia-n810-review.ars

Nokia N810: unboxing and first impressions

,----[ Quote ]
| My shiny new Nokia N810 Internet Tablet was delivered yesterday. After
| fondling it for most of the day, I'm relatively impressed. The N810 is a bit
| smaller than the N800, which makes it more comfortable to use and easier to
| tote around in a pocket.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071123-nokia-n810-unboxing-and-first-impressions.html
http://tinyurl.com/238k6u

Laptops lookout - New Nokia N810 Internet Tablet hits store shelves

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia announced today that the new Nokia N810 Internet Tablet has begun
| shipping nationwide in the United States.  With a new slide-out keyboard,
| built-in GPS, digital audio/video playback and Wi-Fi capability for VoIP
| calling, the Nokia N810 provides the functionality of a traditional computer
| but all in one sleek, stylish and portable device.
`----

http://www.nokia.com/A4136001?newsid=1169511

Linux Internet tablets gain WiFi login agent

,----[ Quote ]
| Boingo Wireless Inc. has announced a free WiFi software agent for Nokia's
| Linux-based Internet tablets. The quick-connect agent is said to streamline
| logins at some 100,000-plus Boingo Mobile hotspots, for users of Nokia's N810
| or N800 running Tablet OS 2008.

Linux alternative to iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| Since the N800 is open source, there are many third party applications which
| extend its usefulness and fun factor, such as:
|
| Pidgin - full-featured internet messaging client, with AIM, MSN, Yahoo and
| Jabber support
| Canola - media player with network streaming
| FBReader - e-book reader
| Claws Mail - full-featured email client
| Obscura Photo Manager
`----

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/09/01/linux-alternative-to-iphone/

Nokia N800 As an EBook Reader Using FBReader

,----[ Quote ]
| Though N800 is an Internet Tablet, it can serve as a very good ebook reader
| too, for those casual/semi-serious readers who don’t want to invest in a
| stand-alone ebook reader. At its screen size and resolution, reading ebooks
| is extremely pleasing on the eye. It supports HTML, PDF, etc formats out of
| the box; but what truly makes it such a good candidate to be used as an ebook
| reader is the excellent(read Free) ebook reader software available for it
| called FBReader.
`----

http://beans.seartipy.com/2007/09/02/nokia-n800-as-an-ebook-reader-using-fbreader/

Review: Nokia N800 now with Skype

,----[ Quote ]
| While I enjoyed using the Nokia N800 prior to the firmware upgrade, once
| having Skype installed made the unit made the Nokia N800 an almost
| indispensable tool carry around. Having the ability to make phone calls
| anywhere in the world from any location that has wireless internet was neat.
| Furthermore with a SkypeIn plan you can easily receive phone calls from just
| about any place in the world that has wifi. The addition of having Skype made
| the Nokia N800 a near cellphone like device.
`----

http://lunapark6.com/nokia-n800-now-with-skype.html

First look: Skype for the Nokia N800 Internet Tablet

,----[ Quote ]
| Not only was there an updated version of the Linux-based Internet Tablet OS
| and significantly-improved hardware, but Nokia also promised us a
| fully-functional Skype client for the N800. Nearly six months after the
| tablet's launch, the Skype client has finally arrived.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070711-first-look-skype-for-the-nokia-n800-internet-tablet.html

Nokia adds FM radio to N800 Internet tablet

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2007/2/7/14542