[News] Linux Desktop Grows in China, Windows Becomes Less 'Free', Microsoft Presses and 'Dumps' for Revenue

  • Subject: [News] Linux Desktop Grows in China, Windows Becomes Less 'Free', Microsoft Presses and 'Dumps' for Revenue
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 04:13:35 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft goes pirate hunting

,----[ Quote ]
| "The criminal syndicate broken up this past summer by Chinese law enforcement
| and the FBI was linked to a significant amount of illegitimate Internet
| activity," proclaimed David Finn, an anti-piracy and anti-counterfeiting
| vole.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/12/11/microsoft-goes-pirate-hunting

Good news to Linux, as always. On the other hand, Microsoft carries
on 'dumping' to stay relevant and Linux is growing nonetheless.

China's Linux desktop market booms

,----[ Quote ]
| The Chinese government's antipiracy movement has had an effect. After the
| central government published two regulations last year to force its
| departments and local governments to stop using pirated software, the
| government has increased its spending on low-cost Linux desktop software.
| Last year, the antipiracy movement focused mainly on senior province and city
| governments, but this year it filtered into the junior village and town
| governments as well -- areas that previously relied on pirated software.
| Currently, the government is responsible for purchasing accounts for more
| than one quarter of China's Linux desktop software market, and the homegrown
| Red Flag Linux leads the government market.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/122473

Market share of GNU/Linux desktops at well over 10%. What would the WinTrolls
say?

Related and recent:

Linux gains ground in China

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux has been riding on a wave in China, topping the growth of all operating
| systems in the first quarter of 2007, says an industry analyst.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/insight/specialreports/0,39044853,62028679,00.htm

Mac claims more Japan OS sales than Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| Sales growth of Windows plummeted from 75.3 percent to 28.7 percent. The
| sudden switch provided Apple with about 53.9 of the total OS-only marketshare
| in Japan during October -- a breakthrough for the company, BCN says.
`----

http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/11/13/mac.up.win.down.in.japan/

Novell, Dell expand customer choice with Linux offerings

,----[ Quote ]
| Novell and Dell announced to expand Linux offerings with the addition of SUSE
| Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 installed on Dell OptiPlex 330 and 755 business
| desktop PCs in China. The systems will be available later this year.
`----

http://www.moneycontrol.com/india/news/pressnews/novell-dell-expand-customer-choicelinux-offerings/11/40/312402

Related:

Why Do You Need Windows?

,----[ Quote ]
| I’ve recently switched to Kubuntu Gutsy (the KDE version of the upcoming
| Ubuntu release) and have to say I absolutely love it so far!
`----

http://elyon225.wordpress.com/2007/10/12/why-do-you-need-windows/

Microsoft says college students can 'steal' Office

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, actually Microsoft isn't encouraging piracy. Rather it is launching a
| promotion, dubbed "Ultimate Steal," in which college students can get the
| ultra high-end Ultimate edition of Office for just $60.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9777020-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Governments Must Reject Gates' $3 Bid to Addict Next Billion PC Users

,----[ Quote ]
| "Microsoft's strategy of getting developing nations hooked on its
| software was clearly outlined by Bill Gates almost a decade ago," said
| Con Zymaris, CEO of long-standing open source firm Cybersource.
|
| Specifically, Bill Gates, citing China as an example, said:
|
|   "Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but
|   people don't pay for the software," he said. "Someday they will, though.
|   As long as they are going to steal it, we want them to steal ours.
|   They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to
|   collect sometime in the next decade."[1]
`----

http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/gates_set_to_addict_next_billion.html

Microsoft Happy with the Evolution of Windows Vista Piracy

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Microsoft-Happy-with-the-Evolution-of-Windows-Vista-Piracy-50577.shtml