Re: [News] MSBBC Columns Go Against OLPC Disinformation, DRM Harms

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 11 Dec 2007 22:48:05 +0000
<79850412.8qgrQFxBY8@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> The DRM maze for consumers
>
> ,----[ Headings ]
> | WESTERN DIGITAL - FILE LOCK OUT
> |
> | ZUNE - SHARE AND SHARE NOT ALIKE
> |
> | NOKIA - FREE MUSIC?
> |
> | GOOGLE - NOW YOU SEE IT, NOW YOU DON'T
> |
> | SONY - THE ROOT OF THE PROBLEM
> |
> | ITUNES - DRM HERE BUT NOT THERE
> |
> | CONSOLES - HI-DEF FUTURE?
> |
> | VIRGIN - SHUT OUT
> `----

> Someone ought to advice the MSBBC to use stylesheets
> for capitalisation, rather than write in ALL CAPS.

There's a few other problems.  I'm not about to throw this
at Tidy.

    Bad.  The proper fix would be to use

    with something like

    .ch1 { text-transform: uppercase; font-weight: bolder; }

    in the style sheet.  It is possible the <b> might be for
    the benefit of older browsers, though -- but if so,
    the BBC engine should probably recognize those browsers
    and generate HTML to fit.  A modern CSS-aware browser
    doesn't need <b>.

    An alternative, which is less flexible, is to use <h2>
    or <h3> -- both these and <div> are bog standard HTML,
    so it's not a big issue unless one absolutely needs
    to save a few bits during page transmission.

[2] <p>
    Western digital....
    But the firm has now blocked...
    The company says it has...
    But the block makes no distinction between...

    This is just sloppy, and in fact the second and fourth
    paragraphs are not even complete sentences.  Never mind
    the HTML technical issues -- can't BBC hire reasonably
    competent *English* *writers*?

    Hello, clue phone, line 2.

[3] Table crap everywhere.  I'm probably one of the few
    still using frames on my website but that's mostly
    because I've not updated it in a coons' age; that's an
    old but reasonable way of doing it.  A modern method
    might use something similar (but cleaner) to what NOW
    is using on www.now.org -- as far as I can tell they're
    using nested <div> constructs -- or simply throw the problem
    at an XSL translator.  I'll admit a modified SGML format
    is attractive to me, and I have a working variant on
    my internal website.

[4] Very naughty (though not nearly as naughty as DRM):

    If one needs embedded style at all:

    but a better method is to simply identify the <td>
    and shove this all into a style sheet:

    and put

    .big1 { width: 629; vertical-align: top; }

    in the CSS.  Of course that's assuming tables are desired
    at all.

[4] Embedded style sheets.  This is only a small fault, as the
    stylesheet actually is a bunch of imports.  However,
    if BBC is going to use this method, it's probably better
    to use a bunch of

    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet"
    href="/css/blah/blah/blah.css"/>

    for each style sheet [*], or just have an external
    stylesheet handling the imports.  It's possible this
    is an artifact of their User-Agent: decoding, but
    an external stylesheet is cacheable, saving a page load.

[5] The white space should probably be compressed.  Presumably
    there's a macro processor involved.

[6] <a onClick="popUpPage(...)"> looks ridiculous, though it might
    be justifiable (barely) from a status bar standpoint.

[7] A large chunk of the text is embedded in <font size="2">.

[massive snip for brevity]

[*] The reason for <link> rather than <?xml-stylesheet?> is because
    of a rather stupid browser whose name I won't mention (but the
    two words start with "IE").  <style> might work but I'd have
    to test it.
very
#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because a BSOD is just so 20th century; why not
try our new color changing variant?